Time to say goodbye

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Taztastic
CW-watches: 1

Re: Time to say goodbye

Post by Taztastic »

I mod on a land Rover forum, there have been times like this for me too, would I Ieave, run for the hills? ... yes, but soon came back, you will soon realise that the friendship and camaraderie of the people you know on here will mean much more than the antagonism of the few, I don't know you at all, but only from my own experience with similar matters, if it helps, just give it a few days and let the hurt subside, come back stronger as it seems you have a lot to give on here.

So, as a noob on here, I say Hello, not goodbye :thumbup:

Paul
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

Thermexman wrote:bspj, Sir, I don't know you but it saddens me, that you're so upset that you feel the need to leave a Forum that you have clearly enjoyed, up until now, participating on. It would seem that someone, through the anonymity of the internet, has hurled a grenade and made off without a care in the world! Bullies, or Trolls as, I believe they are known, are a fact of life, I'm afraid. Doesn't mean that we should surrender to them. Enough people on here are asking you to reconsider your decision. For what it's worth, please add me to that list. Don't go!
Your post sums things up perfectly.

I must admit I was surprised by the bomb set off by smudge1962 as I have been busy at work (well it's the first day of the week here).

I sincerely hope bspj that you don't leave the forum - like many others here I know who I would prefer to stay.
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

No need for either you, Steve, or Smudge to leave.

Let's move on.
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

Our own heart not other men's opinions form our true honour.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Stay!
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Steve, I also add my voice to you reconsidering, you add tremendous value here, the other guy, added nothing.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Dear Steve, please stay. Don't let idiocy get in the way of anything.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Incoming: 0
vikingdrvr
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by vikingdrvr »

just catching up on the forum to find this! Haven't even read the offending posts yet, but hope all is forgiven and forgotten.
Don't give it up Steve...hang in there!
vikingdrvr

InComing: nada
InTheBox: C60 GMT, C7, C7IRR, C70 D-Type, C8, C11. Steinies: Nav B/OVM/OceanTi500/Racetimer X2/Chrono II. Others: SMP300M Chrono, SMdV, Alpina X2, Tissot Chrono, LLD, Heuer 2000 Auto, Breil...
Emily DT, Charlotte Deco, Coral (wife’s)
fishman
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by fishman »

Gentlemen, please! Steve, you've apologized as was appropriate and that should be the end of it. You're valued for your knowledge, friendship etc by the Forum members so, your resignation would be a loss to us. The other individual has been admonished by Kip that personal attacks are unacceptable for any Forum member to engage in. Obviously you're a man of honor and we need as many of those as we can get so, please reconsider.
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by bspj »

All, thank you for the overwhelming tide of messages, both in open forum and via more private channels.
I had not written my farewell in order to be dissuaded, I am not of that ilk. Some private messages from Smudge further resolved my intention to leave.
I will no longer be playing an active part here, but have agreed with Kip that I will stick around. For a long time I have provided a backstop for forumites in trouble or distress, (though I cannot reveal how many, it is a significant number) and I will remain for a few weeks in that capacity only.
Once more, thank you for your kind words.
Steve
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

We can but respect your decision, sad as it may be. Can't help but feel a bit of the forum died today.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Take a month or two off.

Then see how you feel.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Tyke wrote:We can but respect your decision, sad as it may be. Can't help but feel a bit of the forum died today.
This is exactly what I felt when I read this thread and caught the tag end of the offending thread before it was locked down.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

I don't know Steve / bspj, I have never PM'd him or sought / received his support personally. What I do know from hanging around here for a while and reading the appreciative comments that other members have chosen to share, is that he has provided a lot of support to a lot of people during times of difficulty and that many on here are proud to call him their friend.

Given that most people choose to keep such things private, it is fair to assume that the above is a small sample of the extensive good work that Steve has done through this forum.

I have no religious leanings, either for against any particular denomination, and to be honest tend to judge people on their 'goodness' quotient as opposed to whatever packaging that goodness comes in.

Equally, I just don't see that there is a conflict between having a reasonable disposable wealth or income / enjoying the finer things in life and having a religious calling / enacting this through helping others.

Coming across this thread after a weekend of forum abstinence, and then checking back on the one that triggered it, I have to say that I am dismayed at how one person's uninformed agenda / perspective can have such a destructive effect.

It is untypical of the vast majority on this forum to undertake personal attacks on others: we have our disagreements and differences of opinion but as long as it remains courteous that is all grist to the forum mill.

Occasionally what you want to say in your head does not convey well through a typed medium and meanings can be misinterpreted ( I have been guilty / fallen foul of this ) but swift realization and an apology ( by PM if need be ) puts things back on track as it is generally a forgiving lot on here and grudges are not held.

But this has been a sustained attack pushing one particular point that seems to me to be without foundation and somewhat archaic in perspective.

Steve has clearly made his decision and we have to respect that, but it does not change the fact that it is a real shame and a loss to us all.

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by BerlinCW »

Tyke wrote:
Thermexman wrote:bspj, Sir, I don't know you but it saddens me, that you're so upset that you feel the need to leave a Forum that you have clearly enjoyed, up until now, participating on. It would seem that someone, through the anonymity of the internet, has hurled a grenade and made off without a care in the world! Bullies, or Trolls as, I believe they are known, are a fact of life, I'm afraid. Doesn't mean that we should surrender to them. Enough people on here are asking you to reconsider your decision. For what it's worth, please add me to that list. Don't go!

+ A big 1 to this.

It's clear from this and a recent AVO thread that you are needed, wanted and respected on here and by people in private from here.[/quote

Greetings,

+2.

I've just caught up with this following a few days away.

Appalling situation, that Steve/bspj, decides to leave the forum and offers an apology to the other party.

But that is testament to Steve's character and I for one would say well done, that is not something I could have done.

As far as apologies go, I would also echo Kip's sentiments above regarding the post from the other party, pointless and meaningless.

And yet Steve is back today posting and thinking of others.

Thanks for doing that and thinking of others.

We are thinking of you.