Conduct of Sales Threads?

Forum-related only, not for feedback on watches or general CW-feedback
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Conduct of Sales Threads?

Post by village »

Sales threads are sales threads,not discussion threads.

mabotham wrote: General comments re the watch etc. are perfectly valid.
General comments such as "nice watch..wish i had the funds" etc etc etc are all very nice but can quickly turn the sales thread into a long thread and cloud the sale. There is no need for them however well meaning the poster. Of course it's nice to get a free bump as a seller,but if it turns into a two page hug-fest then its counter productive.

Comments about price are bang out of order.If you have a problem pm the seller and discuss it in private.
Anyone who buys a watch of any sales corner without doing any of their own research into pricing are either (a) happy to pay the price advertised, or (b) stupid.
mabotham wrote:but clearly the more information on a sales post, the more informed decision the potential buyer can make.
A potential buyer should get of their arse and do their own research..if they are relying on the buyer to stick loads of info (which may be biased anyway) in the sales post in order to save them doing any work then they are either (a) happy to pay the price for the watch as advertised, or (b) lazy & stupid.

Regards the "you have pm" comment....fair enough i think. It alerts the seller and it doesn't neccessarily mean it's sold...as mentioned it's an expression of interest and means nothing other than that until the seller annotates the watch as OHPF/SOLD or whatever.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I believe I have been guilty as well regarding sometime comments. :silent:

I think all comments should be withheld unless it is a question to the seller of general interest to all. All others should be via pm.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Also, once sold, please leave the information intact but with the addition of SOLD, it's nice to see what you missed and just might help another member avoid being fleeced on another forum.
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Having witnessed what happened to a sales thread yesterday, I do feel that the discussion (if necessary) should be restarted or continued here. Forgive me if I speak out of turn, but I think there are certain "unwritten" rules about this type of thread. This is how I would wish to see any thread of mine treated, for what it's worth...

1. Seller to provide description and photos if at all possible, following the criteria clearly laid down by the moderators.

2. No comments. Discussion re price and condition of goods, or conditions of sale, to be by PM. I'm not sure that well-meant posts like "Lovely watch, GLWTS" or "Seller is a top bloke" are needed, as they can sometimes make it unclear who is in the hunt. I'm not even sure about the "PM sent" post. Seller knows you've sent a PM, though it does alert others that someone is interested.

3. The above enables the seller to update and amend as s/he thinks fit. (OHPF, SOLD, REDUCED etc.) We may appreciate the odd friendly "BUMP" but I think even this is best left to the seller.

4. Any suspicion that the seller might be doing something questionable should be communicated to the moderators via PM. That's what they are there for.

5. Once the deal is done, acknowledgements and congratulatory comments are fine.

Just my opinion, I'm sure others will have theirs, too. Debate and discussion are the life blood of the forum, but in their proper place. Let's leave SC to the sellers and buyers, at least during the sale process.

I am in lock step with you Steve!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy