How's your LE running and how's the quality?

A limited Edition Kingfisher especially for forum-members
Sold out
Gray C
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: How's your LE running and how's the quality?

Post by Gray C »

John wrote:Chris mailed me he'll let me sent the LE back and regulate it again.
He can take look at the other issues also.
I'm sure he will make me happy again with the LE.

It wasn't the meaning of letting CW down, but i've waited so long for the KF and I was alittle disappointed when it arrived.

To be continued.............
He mailed me too and asked me to send it back (carriage free back and forth) for fine tuning if it does not settle down within the next few weeks.

A good bit of customer service from the man himself
Christopher Ward Kingfisher LE 31/100
Omega Bond Seamaster LE 655/10007
Omega QoS Planet Ocean LE 1829/5007
Nico
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Nico »

Guys, we are on the right way :D

As said before, Chris will manage the problems, for sure.

Happy X-Mas

Nico
thewatcher

How's your LE running and how's the quality?

Post by thewatcher »

mine is running pretty well and quality is good except strap rubs on the sides of the watch because it touches. i do have a question on the running mind you my watch had run a few seconds slow over five days. which i thought was very good it seems to run minimally slow naturally. but i went out after setting it back to the right time. it was a cold night when i was out and i did not notice its running but when i woke up in the morning it was three seconds slow this was in a time scale of approximately 15 hours. would the cold affect the internal movement of the watch to this degree. its the first automatic watch i have had thats why i ask.
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7

Post by Hans »

Lots of factors influence the way an automatic movement runs: temperature, position of the watch (crown-up, crown-down, etc.), your own movement..... 3 seconds slow in 15 hours is excellent (although it is more practical to have a watch running 3 seconds fast a day). My advice: use the watch for a few weeks before you start measuring!
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

Mine's 3 seconds a day fast.
Having said that, I think we'll see some changes once the movements run in - as I have said before, adjusting a brand-new movement makes little sense. Leave it to run in and then get it adjusted.

I've got the IPK-braceletted version too, and I'm prefectly chuffed with the way it's executed. My only problem is that the spring bars do not seem to match the holes in the lugs. That needs to be sorted.

All in all, I'm chuffed to bits - you won't get an automatic diver of this level at this price. John, which serial number have you got? I'll be happy to pay you what you paid for it.

cheers,
peter
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
John
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by John »

peterh wrote:Mine's 3 seconds a day fast.
Having said that, I think we'll see some changes once the movements run in - as I have said before, adjusting a brand-new movement makes little sense. Leave it to run in and then get it adjusted.

I've got the IPK-braceletted version too, and I'm prefectly chuffed with the way it's executed. My only problem is that the spring bars do not seem to match the holes in the lugs. That needs to be sorted.

All in all, I'm chuffed to bits - you won't get an automatic diver of this level at this price. John, which serial number have you got? I'll be happy to pay you what you paid for it.

cheers,
peter
When you look at the finish of the IPK I can't say it's very tidy, but some people are just easier to satisfie.
Maybe I'm more of a perfectionist then you are Peter.
I just mention some things I don't like, selling it to you makes no sense.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

That, or my bracelet has its IPK applied tidier... which could be the case.

Where do you think it fails?
seaclose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 11
LE-fourb: yes

Post by seaclose »

Mine's gained a minute and fifteen seconds in five days. I haven't got any fancy equipment for checking it, just the radio controlled kitchen clock. :?

How does this compare with yours.
Nico
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Nico »

I have worn the LE since Dezember 24th. It is about +10s/day constantly. I will let the watch run a few weeks and check the situation every day. For me, it is OK, but +10s/day constantly is a good basis for a regulation.

Nico
David James Payne
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by David James Payne »

I seem to have been extremely lucky with my LE. I set it on 18 December, having received it on 17 December, using the Teletext time signal on the television. I have worn it almost 24/7 for over two weeks now and it has only gained 8 secs in that time. I have worn it for 24 hours on some days, and on others it has "rested" face up over night (this did not seem to affect accuracy in any way) on others it has "rested" crown up overnight (it loses circa 1sec overnight in this position). I wound it every morning, whether I had worn it overnight or not. This Is an excellent accuracy result and betters COSC - and I was the one going on about COSC Certification!! :lol:

More generally, I have been extremely pleased with the "fit & finish" of the watch and IMO it represents extremely good value for money. The movement is very smooth, and the "winding" is also very smooth - much better than my C5 Aviator.

If I have any gripes, it is re the blue lume index on the blue background face, there is not enough contrast between the indexes and face so, in certain lighting conditions, it is difficult to read time - maybe more a function of my "aging eyes". Much has already been said about the quality of the Lume so I will not labour it too much more here, only to say that I do not find it as good as my Omega Speedmaster (which does have exceptional lume).

Overall, I am very pleased with the watch - but with minor gripes re readability and lume. Jury is still out re "wife acceptability" criteria!

David
Joy to all watch lovers. :D

DJP
Terminator 2
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by Terminator 2 »

Oh Dear. All this negativity.

NOW YOU KNOW WHY I TEND TO BUY QUARTZ

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

at least for my every day watch.

Sorry folks. I couldnt resist it and I thought it might lighten up the mood a little.
If I wore an auto daily it would always bug me. Keep them for special occasions only and the inaccuracy will never bother you because it will not be on your wrist long enough to notice. Spend £2k on an auto watch and it would still be the same. The only difference is the " big brand " name that impresses your friends would make you forgive it a little bit more. If you want accuracy straight out of the box then it is the wrong choice. In my view an auto is not for wearing every day.

:wink:
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

Hmmm ... my LE is a bit fast... it might be half a minute fast after a week. Big deal.
My (quartz) Red is a wee bit slow... it looses 10 seconds in a week. Apart from the fact that my Seiko gains 10 seconds during daylight savings time switches, which makes me not bother about ever setting it at all... I'd rather have the Red a wee bit fast ;-)

Having said that, each time I pick up an auto, I have to wind it, set the date, and set the time. I can pick up a Seiko quartz and just wear it... or I can pick up the Red, set the time, and wear it.

But then again, quartz watches run out of juice... so you have to take them into a jeweller to get the battery replaced. Oops.

But then again, mechanical watches need a service jobbie just as often as quartz watches need new batteries - so you have to take them to a competent watchmaker (of which there are fewer) to get them serviced. Oops.

The most trouble-free watch I have, by these standards, is the Casio G-Shock Tough Solar Wave Ceptor thingy. It's set every night at 2:02 (3:02 on daylight saving time), and it doesn't need new batteries. And since it has less moving parts than a rock, the word "service" means wiping the grease off so you can read the display.

And yes, it does have a character. As in "throw whatever abuse you like at me, see if I care". I've thrown abuse at it which would have killed each and every other watch that I own... and it burped and asked for more. I don't know what Casio makes these things of... volcanic rock I assume.

It also has the charisma of a vacuum cleaner, which makes it suitable for any occasion that you wouldn't want to subject any watch you like to.

If I know I'm going to tear down a wall, or drop an engine on my wrist, I grab the G-Shock. If I slept in and have to rush, I grab a quartz (most likely the Red). If I've got time for a cuppa before I go (which is most of the time, really), then I can grab an auto, wind it, and set it. And take out a polishing cloth and pamper it a bit.

I know that there is little rationale to it - but I really can't be bothered with that. Whenever I leisurely lean back smoking a pipe, or enjoying a nice Carmenère, and see that second hand sweep a creamy-white dial (for some reason, my read-pear pipe head doesn't match the radiant blue of the Kingfisher LE dial very well), I know that life is good, and I cannot be bothered with all the technicalities. :mrgreen:

For the lack of reasoning above, I like mechanical watches just as well as quartz watches.
seaclose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 11
LE-fourb: yes

Post by seaclose »

I love my LE but I wouldn’t have bought it, if it had been quartz, even though it may have kept better time.

So what if it gains a minute or so a week. I’m not likely to wear it 24/7 anyway. I wear my C4 most of the time, so the LE will need resetting between occasions.

If accuracy was the be all and end all, then we would all just buy a thirty quid radio controlled watch from Ebay. :D
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by El Tiempo »

Seaclose,the only equipment I use to check accuracy is the Official US Time clock. Here

You probably have something similar for the UK. If you want to get fancy, you can leave it in different positions at night to see which gives you the best accuracy. The bet idea is ti wear it a lot for a few weeks and let the movement run in. Then worry about regulation. Unless it's really bad, I wouldn't worry just yet.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

The UK equivalent would be http://www.greenwichmeantime.co.uk
And I don't get the impression that Seaclose is worrying ;)