Visit to CW towers today (1st June)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Visit to CW towers today (1st June)

Post by albionphoto »

I'm normally able to visit CW towers in November. I was able to sneak into Blighty to watch some Shakespeare and post my C1000 to its new owner. I took the opportunity to visit CW Towers in Maidenhead this morning. Decvlan is on holiday in Barcelona and so I spent an hour with Alex. Alex has taken Declan lessons and was great company for an hour in Maidenhead. He knew the watches and was as thorough, personable and helpful as one could hope for. Thanks for making an hour this morning an hour well spent; Cheers Alex.
I did buy a Trident Blue today. Pictures will have to wait until I return to the US and then I have to decide whether to create a post reviewing the watch here in the CW section or in other Brands as I feel a direct comparison review with the SeaMaster SMP coming up.
Apparently the "mods" were at CW towers yesterday and so I missed an opportunity to speak with Bahnstormer et al in person but thanks for the good work you all do on a daily basis here in the asylum.
No visit to Maidenhead would be complete without asking about upcoming releases. I was able to see some prototypes that were hinted at in the summer edition of Loupe. The TMB Concorde is going to be great and the skeleton will be amazing when it arrives later in the year. I think life is going to be exciting for CW and its customers in the next few weeks and months.
Once again thanks to Alex for being a great representative for CW and I'm looking forward to wearing my new Trident. I highly recommend a visit to CW's showroom enough. Go on, be part of the 90% who visit and buy in person. Another great trip to the house with the yellow door.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Visit to CW towers today (1st June)

Post by Ian Mc »

Any news on the GMT bronze trident?
Time keeps on slipping into the future
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

I'm curious about the whole visit to CW towers. It doesn't surprise me that 90% that visit end up buying something as I'm sure if I booked an appointment and took up an hour of their time, I think I'd almost feel obliged to buy something. (if that makes sense)
I feel guilty enough when I'm killing time strolling around jewellers/motorbike showrooms and the assistant asks if they can help.

So has anyone been and not bought anything?
CHRIS
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

I've been and not bought anything. I heard a story about a visitor who spent 3+ hours there and didn't buy anything.
Wandering around watch boutiques and not buying anything does take a bit of chutzpa the first time you do it. I also visited the Seiko store, watches of Switzerland, the ORis up-up on South Molton Street and Tag Heuer in Harrods as well today. I'm up front about the fact that I'm browsing. The only place where I felt any pressure/expectation to buy was Oris.
I use visits to ADs to cross items off my "I'd like to buy list". So I no longer lust after a reverse panda Autavia. ADs know that the first step to a purchase is, most often, a few quick visits as the buyer psychs themselves up. They don't mind and it can be fun.
Mark
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

DISJT wrote:So has anyone been and not bought anything?
I'm lucky to live within a 15-20minute drive of the showroom and normally visit twice a year when I feel I'd like to see and compare a couple of different watches. The last time was to check out a Chr. Ward logo'd 38mm Trident GMT that they managed to find for me. I ended up not buying it was it was white dialled and I decided I wanted a black dialled version. While there I had a lengthy look at the Motorsport watches, had a chat with Declan about the forthcoming C65 Trident Diver and saw the then soon to be released blue Trident C60. But left empty handed other than some photos which I posted on this forum.

While I'm sure they'd like showroom visitors to buy you're not made to feel uncomfortable if you don't and I always have the impression that they like showing the watches and chatting about them as much as I like seeing and trying them on. Declan is a great host and gives an honest opinion of how he feels about a watch or how it might suit you.

When there's an imminent release of something I think I might like my proximity enables me to book an appointment rather than ordering via postage and possible return. Not an easy option for yourself as you're many miles away.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

As suggested the Admin Team did spend a couple of days meeting with the CW team, and a lot of very positive things came out of it. Rather than leaking bits of information here and there, Kip is going to feed back to the forum in a day or two, as he is returning to the US over the weekend.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:As suggested the Admin Team did spend a couple of days meeting with the CW team, and a lot of very positive things came out of it. Rather than leaking bits of information here and there, Kip is going to feed back to the forum in a day or two, as he is returning to the US over the weekend.
Thanks Steve. I wonder if I'll be on the same flight as I go back to the US on Sunday. I think we're suffering from unusual circumstances with two inmates going to CW Towers on Friday and Alex mentioning your visit the day before. It's good to see that CW and the mods/admins do actually talk to each other. I hope you all enjoyed the visit. Keep up the good work.
Mark
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

We all know that real pictures on the forum do help but there is nothing like seeing it in person which is why CW have the 60 day return. The recently released C65 Trident Diver (vintage) did nothing for me on the web site but having seen it live the blue model is on my wish list.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^I certainly agree with that, Ian. It is stunning.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

I loved the C1000 on the website. When I bought one and wore it, it didn't meet my expectations. Lesson learned and now I only buy watches I've seen in real life. I wouldn't have bought a C9 moonphase without seeing it in the flesh. No matter how good the pictures/renders are seeing something on your wrist makes all the difference. I'm lucky enough to be able to visit CW towers once (or twice) a year.
Mark