Smaller Bracelet Adjustments?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
miket-nyc

Smaller Bracelet Adjustments?

Post by miket-nyc »

I have a Trident GMT and the bracelet is a TINY bit too loose for my wrist with the movable pin on the buckle in the tightest of the 3 holes. If I take out another link, it will be a TINY bit too tight with the movable pin in the loosest of the 3 holes (been there before).

I wish CW had drilled more adjustment holes in the buckle, but they didn't, so what is done instead? I noticed that the two links closest to the buckle on both sides are smaller than a standard link (and different from each other) so perhaps CW intended you to remove one of these to lose a fraction of a link (or add a full link and remove one to gain a fraction of a link). I'm wondering if anybody tried this method and if it works. I don't want to just keep fooling around with the bracelet randomly or sooner or later I may break the thing.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Smaller Bracelet Adjustments?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The smaller links are called half links and they are designed precisely to allow a smaller level of adjustment than a full link.

I have a related problem on my GMT which arrived the other day. The adjustment done for the previous owner leaves it just a little too tight on my wrist with the ratchet fully open. So I am going to ask a watchmaker to replace a half link with a full link. That should give me enough room.

The ratchet clasp is a great idea because it then gives you a five position micro adjustment on the move! Brilliant especially in warm weather when the wrist tends to expand a little during the day.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Hi Mike,

Welcome back, not seen you around for a while.

I've not seen mentioned previously any suggestions that the half links you are referring to can be taken out. As far as I know they are specific to the end of each part of the bracelet.

Additionally, CWL do not have half links for finer adjustment.

A solution will be for you to get one of the latest bracelets, which can be fitted to both the MkI and MKII Tridents (which version GMT do you have?), that has a rachet micro adjustment of 5 or 6 clicks to cover the range of a full link.

Hope this helps.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS

Oops, difference of opinion between me and @avo.

Better go and take a look at my C60 bracelet.

Guy

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’m no bracelet expert, Guy. You could well be right.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS

Here's a photo of the end link that connects to the deployant (earlier MkI bracelet but the current MKII bracelet is similar, I have both).

The dimensions are unique, as it is twin 'female' ends, as opposed to the regular removable link which is 'male' and 'female'.

You will therefore not be able to replace it, (unless you get a special longer one made).

Back to my original suggestion to get a current bracelet with the ratchet adjustment (sorry @avo, Steve).

Guy

StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

May be worth phoning CW to ask if you could purchase the new ratchet clasp separately (assuming it retro-fits)?

Not sure whether their position has changed, but they previously quoted me for an old logo ratchet clasp.
Ryan
Bahnstormer_vRS

@Strappedup - good suggestion, but I'm not sure that a MKII bracelet ratchet deployant will fit on a MkI bracelet.

Basic reason is that the links and deployant of the MKII are thicker than the MkI.

NB > MKII bracelet is on the left or bottom.

PS > One caveat; the MkI bracelet I have is for a C7 Rapide, not a C60 Trident. However, I've always been lead to believe the bracelet is the same for both watches, just that they have different fitted end links for the different lugs.

Guy

MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

That is one other option as Guy pointed out, is to get a C7 bracelet as it has a five point pin adjustment. Obviously you have to change the Trident fitted end links by the case.
I have done this on a previous Trident.

I have also fitted the modern ratchet clasp to my C65 brushed bracelet which was successful.
miket-nyc

Post by miket-nyc »

NB > MKII bracelet is on the left or bottom.

PS > One caveat; the MkI bracelet I have is for a C7 Rapide, not a C60 Trident. However, I've always been lead to believe the bracelet is the same for both watches, just that they have different fitted end links for the different lugs.

Actually, there's another difference and it's a major one: my bracelet looks exactly like the top one in this picture, but it has only three holes. From this picture, it looks like the three middle holes are in the same place as the ones in my bracelet, so CW took their existing stock of three-hole bracelets and drilled an extra hole on each side of the three existing holes.

I have a small machine shop in my basement and do machining as a hobby, so I may try that myself some time. I've drilled tiny holes many times, but doing so in such an expensive hunk of stainless steel could be a bit nerve-wracking. For the moment, when the bracelet feels tight, I just open the dive extension.

Mike Taglieri
downer

Post by downer »

Richard