Feeling confused about luxury watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Feeling confused about luxury watches

Post by robinbarke »

I think something that often gets overlooked in price versus value discussions is how a watch performs over many years of regular wearing. I have been wearing my Rolex regularly for around 35 years and in that time it has required service on one occasion only. It varies only about a second a day and visually there is not a mark on it, looking as good as they day I bought it. You remember the quality long after you have forgotten the cost!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Blake wrote:...I think you should wear whatever is appealing to you...
Exactly. Well said. Time to put on the Speedy. :D

I see what you did there Steve :D
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
kygan00

Post by kygan00 »

I once had the opportunity to try on a USD80,000 Patek Philippe. I was underwhelmed. Did not feel the same excitement as the time I got my G-Shock :lol:
killersp
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by killersp »

That luxury watches are a step above the mid-range watches, it is likely that yes. That this big price difference is not justified, it is likely that yes. But they are objects of "luxury" and that is paid, whether you want it or not. In addition they are recognized in the whole world, not by us, the crazy ones of the clocks, but by the rest of the people. And that happens with the other luxury things, which you have to pay to have them. Pass with cars, Mercedes or Ford, for example. Enfin happens with everything, if you want luxury you have to pay, the money of more than you pay on what should be worth is that "I am de luxury."
All this said, buy the watch that you like, that you fall in love, and that you can afford.
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

I have close to 20 CW’s and I love the brand and wear them all the time.

I also have two Omegas - an 86 Speedmaster (with an Apollo 11 35th anniversary face) and a ‘93 Seamaster Professional.

There’s also a Hamilton (which is huge) and a Nomos (which is tiny).

The favourite two in my collection are the Omegas.

I love the fact that they have some ‘history’ behind them and, in their own way, have become iconic in terms of design. I’m absolutely sure that virtually no one I come in touch with ever notices them but each one makes me feel a bit ‘special’ when I wear them and that makes them worth every penny to me :)
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by ciclismosam »

So many good responses on here! I'll just say that I have watches ranging from $150-ish up to $6k ish. Do I love them all the same? No, they are different watches, but I enjoy them each in their own way. There are however 3 specific ones that resonate the most for me. It has nothing to do with price however. They are the Grand Seiko Snowflake, Omega Speedmaster Professional, and Tudor Pelagos. All are in the more expensive range of my collection, but the Zenith is too, and the Seamaster, but they wouldn't make the cut even though I love them.

This is not something that I think always makes sense. The above three watches just each have something that really does it for me regardless of anything else. And that is what it really comes down to. On some level every watch is like that, which is why I own the watches I own, and why you own the watches you own, etc.
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Really interesting thread to read.
I have, over the last couple of years, had quite a diverse collection ranging from a £60 to c£6K, purchasing from Kickstarter to AD's.
Some I have bought, particularly those I've bought blind based on reviews, have underwhelmed me and been "flipped", others have "wow"ed me but in all honesty it's been a bit hit and miss.
It's taken time to realise the style of watch I like and also the size of watch that suits me/that I feel comfortable wearing.
With certain brands I have noticed the difference in quality and as for "bang for buck", I have to say that Tudor, Grand Seiko, Stowa and CW fall into this category.
You don't have to spend a fortune to have a nice quality watch that you're happy to wear.
Wintersports
Senior
Senior

Post by Wintersports »

Yes, it's not about price - I ve a Panerai on a strap made from 200+ year old reindeer hide from a shipwreck.... but loving a £180 Phoibos diver I ve just bought - great quality and looks cool.

I remember getting way more pleasure from an early 'luxury' purchase of a Tudor Sub, which was in the scheme of things pretty cheap [I sold it, I was an id'jut] than a bi metal Rolex GMT and a Navitmer a couple of years after when i had more disposable cash.
C7 Rapide Mk2,
Tag Aquaracer
Breitling Superocean Chrono
Omega Seamaster Vintage 1947
Panerai on Metta Catharina Strap
Cartier Santos - worn by Mrs
Two Steinharts, Phoibos, Keinzle
Parnis. Heimdallr Willard, Steeldive bronze... all boys' toys
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

The process of trying to answer your question sprouts too many branches. One would have to create a decision tree that incorporated every possible reason and train of thought, and then plot your own path through it to arrive at a set of answers - and it would be a set because very few of us are so single-minded that we would not make concessions of the moment along the way.

It is clear that a Mercedes would be wasted money for some people, a Ferrari wasted money for others, whereas a Toyota might be wasted money for someone who loves a Mercedes. Income, discretionary funds, taste, knowledge, perception, personal need, values... all those things have to go into the equation.
Gregory
gbranton

Post by gbranton »

I am enjoying reading everyone’s replies here, it gives me some much needed perspective on the watch collecting hobby. I am new to all this, having owned a number of Seiko quartz-type watches for years before purchasing my first automatic, also a Seiko several years ago, it quickly became my primary watch. Over time I developed an interest in mechanical watches, I saw a few CW watches in Top Gear Magazine and ordered a Trident, now I am here reading your posts and wondering where to go from here. I am relieved the see that everyone here seems quite open minded and I look forward to my next purchase.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

For me three rules:

1. Buy what I like correlated with what I will wear.
3. Must be durable
3. Affordable (this one gets a little elastic!)

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

This post really chimes with me. I too have been disappointed that when looking at say above £3k watches (Rolex, omega, Breitling etc) I just don’t get it.

I think there is a distinct division between someone who buys luxury watches for prestige and those who buy because they love watches.

The big Swiss brands rely on the culture of conspicuous consumption to keep their prices high despite huge numbers of units produced.

I have been guilty of wanting to pick up Rolex subs, speedys etc for the prestige. But I’ve come to realise that heritage and brand image matter much less to me than quality and being able to own several superb watches for the price of 1 peacock piece. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that these are superbly built timepieces with decades or centuries of heritage, but for me the diminishing returns in quality as you go up the price range isn’t worth it. Then again, I’m a person of not unlimited means so £1000 is a reasonable chunk of cash to splash on my hobby.

I don’t judge others for having differing motivations than me as I think that keeping horology alive in the age of the smartphone is always to be celebrated, whether it’s someone buying a £50 seiko or a £20,000 Patek Philippe.

There can be a lot of inverted snobbery in the watch community, with accusations of watch companies being fashion brands, or using celebrity endorsements to inflate their value, eg Tag Heuer, but as a whole we are a diverse but aggreable bunch.

I’ve been into watches for about 10 years now and what I’ve learned is
1. Buy what you like, don’t buy off the back of the watches iconic status, historical relevance or perceived value
2. Handle the watches in person before you commit, as what looks amazing on screen can be completely different when on the wrist.
3. Don’t go grail hunting, I’m not sure that a grail watch even exists
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

johncolescarr wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:17 pm This post really chimes with me. I too have been disappointed that when looking at say above £3k watches (Rolex, omega, Breitling etc) I just don’t get it.
It's not just the pricing at Swiss brand ADs (ridiculous though they are) for me, apart from Patek, AP and Rolex all of the manufacturers with "heritage & tradition" have been assimilated by the Borg(s) and it shows.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

I have two Rolex’s which I love.
One daily and one dress watch.

Love the quality and look and yes damm expensive.
I bought them as rewards for myself after years of mortgages, kids, bills etc and wanted to treat myself and have something of quality for me to own.

I love watches but buying high end again is not an option for me. I have two and happy with that.
Wasn’t looking to expand my collection until I came across an article about an English watchmaker called Christopher Ward.

Wow I thought. Loved the story behind them and was very impressed with the line up of watches at a very reasonable price.
After much research im sold on adding a CW to my small collection. A top quality Swiss made watch with an in-house movement at a price that won’t break the bank.
So I’ve decided to get the C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve. Will rotate that with my sub.
And who knows at these prices may add another CW.
looking forward to my trip to the showroom.

So yes, all in all it’s a personal taste.
The Rolexes are worth the prices paid imho.
But can’t wait to add an Anglo English/Swiss piece at a price I’m amazed at.

:thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:40 pmhave been assimilated by the Borg(s) and it shows.
That’s the funniest thing I’ve read on here! :lol: :clap:
Drew