Conundrum - to buy or to wait

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
quark
Senior
Senior

Conundrum - to buy or to wait

Post by quark »

I have fallen in love with the C5 Malvern 595. Problem is the price. Do I give into my desires and buy at now, or wait for the inevitable Sale? I bought a motorsport watch some years ago and the day after I bought it the price was reduced. I complained and CW kindly let me have the watch at the reduced price at the time. These constant price reductions and voucher offers on CW watches are annoying for people who buy at full price. A once a year sale is understandable; but CW have damaged my confidence in buying new, because of their constant offers. They are no longer credible on price, if they keep offering reductions more than once a year. What do Forum members think?
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Re: Conundrum - to buy or to wait

Post by MiniMpi »

There is a £100 off voucher currently so reduces it to £495 ?

100SPRING18 on the UK website.
Put it in the Promo Code box.
Misterchrono
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Misterchrono »

I agree. It's frustating paying full price just a week before any clearance reduction. Although, regargarding this particular new model the 595, I don't think they would lower the price just a few weeks after it has been launched.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Buy now and use the £100 voucher as it'll be a while imho before any are offered as nearly new and when they do, they'll be 30% off and possibly be marked.

It's possible CW may do a 15% off event, but for this model the £100 off voucher would still be the better option.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by nigelb001 »

As the Malvern 595 is a newly released watch, it is highly unlikely you will see them in any clearance for quite some time, maybe not at all. You may find a few nearly new from returns at some time in the future but you may be in for a long wait. Use the voucher and buy it if you are really in love with the watch. :)
CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

MiniMpi wrote:There is a £100 off voucher currently so reduces it to £495 ?
You beat me to it! This is a discount of around 17% even if this model is included in a sale I can't imagine it would be more than 15% off. I can't see a 50% off this one in the near future.

And how long do you wait? You could leave it 12 months, buy it and then there be a sale after you've bought it. There is always something better or cheaper if you wait, but on that logic you'd never buy anything...I'd go for it. £100 off is not to be sniffed at and if you love it and can afford it.... :D
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

quark wrote:Do I give into my desires and buy at now, or wait for the inevitable Sale?

These constant price reductions and voucher offers on CW watches are annoying for people who buy at full price.
Doesn't this happen with almost any watch company or other product you buy online or in a store? Prices on Amazon change all the time. Have you looked into buying a new car or find the lowest price on airfares? The guy sitting next to you on the plane may have paid half the price of what you paid.

CW is actually pretty consistent with their 4 times a year vouchers and their 30% off / NN sales and occasional 50% closeouts.
quark
Senior
Senior

Post by quark »

Thanks for your comments. I( have used the voucher code. I actually received it but chucked thinking I had no use for it. In the meantime I dropped my automatic on a hard floor. It stopped working and I think the movement is damaged. So I decided on a new watch. the damaged one was one of the originals from CW in 2005. It now costs £99 to service plus 2 way carriage of £15 in total. The original price of the watch was £99. Those were the days. CW has progressed since then. In any case, I am looking forward to getting the new watch which is a self winder with an exhibition back. (I just love watching the movement tick back and forth) Hope it lives up to the promise. My only worry is that it lacks a second hand, which the movement they use can accommodate, so its a good bet that CW upgrades this watch after a year with a second hand and the hour hands in a colour. Oh well, time waits for no man. I've gone for it!
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

Might even come with a new logo by then too. :silent:
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
quark
Senior
Senior

Post by quark »

Yes, that's another annoying marketing ruse. 3 logos in 17 years. Not one of them an improvement on the original. They haven't yet mastered the art of branding imo. Or maybe it's their way of generating repeat orders. Fairly difficult in the watch industry I would imagine.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Effectively 17% off a brand new model watch from any maker should be a buy, so if you like it, do it.