Manual Wind

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ian-909
Senior
Senior

Manual Wind

Post by ian-909 »

Can you leave the crown out on manual wind CW watch when the watch has been wound? Or is it best to let the watch run out of wind with the crown in.

I have a C5 Slimline Square which I love but I don’t wear it seven days a week. When I take it off and it’s still going, it can create a hum of sorts when left on a bedside table. If I could leave the crown out safely, it would be very handy.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Manual Wind

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Don’t leave the crown out. Apart from the fact that the watch stops, all kinds of snarks and grumkins can get in. It is designed to run with the crown in.

I have noticed a metallic ringing noise with a couple of my manual wind watches. I would suggest placing it on some kind of a pad on the bedside table That should damp the noise.

How long does it take to wind one of those things? About 10 seconds per day?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: . . . .
I have noticed a metallic ringing noise with a couple of my manual wind watches. I would suggest placing it on some kind of a pad on the bedside table That should damp the noise. . . . .
A folded handkerchief should suffice.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

I use a mouse pad on the bedside table. Also helps prevent scratches on the side of the case.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
ian-909
Senior
Senior

Post by ian-909 »

Thanks guys, I’ll leave the crown in so. I have been leaving the watch on top of an iPad case which dampens the sound out.

In terms of winding it, it’s usually 15-20 seconds in the morning which I enjoy doing anyway.

I think it’s amazing in this day and age of phones, watches and even cars that need to be charged on a daily basis, that I have a watch that runs with no battery at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

ian-909 wrote:Thanks guys, I’ll leave the crown in so. I have been leaving the watch on top of an iPad case which dampens the sound out.

In terms of winding it, it’s usually 15-20 seconds in the morning which I enjoy doing anyway.

I think it’s amazing in this day and age of phones, watches and even cars that need to be charged on a daily basis, that I have a watch that runs with no battery at all.

Make sure the iPad case does.not have a magnet in it, otherwise you run the risk of magnetising the watch!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
ProfGlenn
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by ProfGlenn »

Use the cloth provided with the watch.
Glenn

C5 slimline square, C60 MKIII BATMAN, MKII bronze, C70 Ascari, C65 AM GT, C30, C5 revival, C3 MKII white, C3 MKII LE green
Omega Aqua Terra Quartz
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I use this on my bedside cabinet :D

ian-909
Senior
Senior

Post by ian-909 »

Yes the iPad case is magnetised so I won’t be using that again! The CW cloth will take its place, thanks for the tips guys.