C60 Submariner - good idea? CW sale

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: C60 Submariner - good idea? CW sale

Post by neilj568 »

Hopsfield wrote:Its not just the fact that it is a special order but it is the submarine services ! There was some other infantry etc etc no disrespect to other units but i think having a diver watch made for submarine units makes it more special. No? Just me then... :)
Only chance most people will have to say in all truth that they own a Submariner.... :D :D
Senior

Post by Hopsfield »

hahaha that is true
gregstar
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by gregstar »

Can I ask OP if they are a qualified submariner

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
One day I'll get found out.
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

Hopsfield wrote:Its not just the fact that it is a special order but it is the submarine services ! There was some other infantry etc etc no disrespect to other units but i think having a diver watch made for submarine units makes it more special. No? Just me then... :)
Do not try to pretend you are one of us when wearing it - we'll sniff you out as a Walt within seconds. DBF!
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

oberonfoto wrote:
Do not try to pretend you are one of us when wearing it - we'll sniff you out as a Walt within seconds. DBF!

No one could plausibly carry off a fake submariner status without being rumbled - I have worked alongside many a submariner and there is no way anyone could replicate the pallid complection and accelerated ageing process that extended periods under the ocean away from sunlight results in :lol:

Plus there is the giveaway catch phrase that my ex boss submariner used to use: if in doubt rack out!

He was also the most chilled out person I have ever met, even under extreme pressure ( no pun intended) - I guess the way of life requires a certain tolerant personality to cope with the environment. Great bloke and someone I greatly admired.

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Hopsfield
Senior
Senior

Post by Hopsfield »

oberonfoto wrote:
I'm not trying to pretend anything! Plus don't think it counts as stolen valor! Also comments like that makes you sound very laughable mate!
Not a submariner but qualified diver and passionate sailor!
Camulos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Camulos »

I have the C60 Sub too, and while not being in the Navy, my family history is in the navy and my Great Uncle was a submarine commander during WW2, so it feels like a nice tribute to him. Plus it's cool having a submariner CW as my 'wet watch'.
Trident Pro 60 GMT auto, C8 Flyer auto, C5 Malvern manual-wind, Trident Pro 60 Submariner (quartz)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Hopsfield wrote:
oberonfoto wrote:
I'm not trying to pretend anything! Plus don't think it counts as stolen valor! Also comments like that makes you sound very laughable mate!
And here is a prime example of how people read things differently. I read the post by oberonfoto as humorous, however offence seems to have been taken somewhere by Hopsfield reading it as being a serious comment. Now thats what I call laughable :lol:
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

In fairness, one poster resurrected a thread over two months later just to enquire whether or not the OP was actually a qualified submariner, and a second queried if he was a ‘walter mitty’, so I think the OP is entitled to a right of reply.

By all accounts the OP simply wanted himself a sales bargain with a bit of related novelty (being a dive watch, and all), and quite reasonably enquired as to whether or not it would impact on resale value.

In any event, it’s a tiny emblem that I didn't even recognise prior to now, and unless you’re a fellow watch geek nobody really looks that closely at what watch others are wearing. Storm in a teacup.
rambothejambo
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by rambothejambo »

Hopsfield wrote:
oberonfoto wrote:
Hopsfield, calm down fella :D post was written with a serious amount of humour. One thing that does worry me though (as an ex-marine who worked with loads of matelots) is the fact you claim to be a passionate sailor, my RSM warned me all about those guys :-" Gary.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

[quote="TG3N"]In fairness, one poster resurrected a thread over two months later just to enquire whether or not the OP was actually a qualified submariner, and a second queried if he was a ‘walter mitty’, so I think the OP is entitled to a right of reply.

They were probably at sea :wink:
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

kiter65 wrote:
TG3N wrote:In fairness, one poster resurrected a thread over two months later just to enquire whether or not the OP was actually a qualified submariner, and a second queried if he was a ‘walter mitty’, so I think the OP is entitled to a right of reply.

They were probably at sea :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by oberonfoto »

Hopsfield wrote:
oberonfoto wrote:
Can't take a joke shouldn't have joined up! DBF!
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
rborden

Post by rborden »

I love the dial, unique, however, as others have said it may hinder your ability to get top dollar if you decide to sell it.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

oberonfoto wrote:
Hopsfield wrote:
oberonfoto wrote: Do not try to pretend you are one of us when wearing it - we'll sniff you out as a Walt within seconds. DBF!
Can't take a joke shouldn't have joined up! DBF!
Besides, you can tell a submariner from a mile off. Pasty faced, twitchy little fellas who take a huge step/duck every time they go through a doorway. :)

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk