Reasons there is so little content generated?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Reasons there is so little content generated?

Post by DISJT »

^^^ i wish i'd had the fortitude. I came here to complain about my first 2 CW watches and now own 6. That back fired somewhat.

:lol: Whale oil beef hooked :lol:
CHRIS
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Re:

Post by jtc »

DISJT wrote:
matski171 wrote:
DISJT wrote:
Cheers for this Scooter, pretty much answers the question except for the 6500 people who appear to of joined for no reason what so ever.
Maybe some of those 6450 people just like reading and do not want to join in? I am on a football forum since 2009 and I visit it daily, I have not joined in once, I just prefer to read through everyone's comments than contributing.
There would be no need to join. You could read all the content without joining. (except the sales posts but they still can't access them after joining if they don't reach 30 posts)
If you join, you can easily dip back into threads from where you left off. Unregistered members need to figure out what page/post they were up to and have to check most recent post details to see if a thread has updated.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Interesting stats, can't believe there are less than 150 people who've posted more than me though, and shocked my post count is so high - never took much notice!

This thread has surely found a new topic though - local strange sayings. I'd always thought of Canada as a polite place, I have much to learn :lol: Can't think of any now but I know from my time at uni much of what I say is nonsense so when I remember some I'll make the thread if no-one else has.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Watchamacallit wrote: Which leads to one small negative comment, is that the moderation of my first five posts were nearly a deterrent to posting more. I understand and appreciate the motivation behind that policy, but as a new person just wanting to post a few pictures and move on, initially was annoying and may hold back some posters.
I can understand that, but perhaps the following will put it into perspective.

Just before reading this thread a few minutes ago, I deleted a user from the forum. Sounds a bit Draconian perhaps, but the person's single post was pure spam offering fake IDs, passports and so on. I assume you really don’t want that sort of thing cluttering up the forum. With the moderation of the first five posts you don’t even get to see 99% of the Spam that appears.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

I guess this is a good post to pop in, say Hello and pop my CW post cherry? :wave:

I've been knocking around various forums for well over a decade and this subject has popped up on most of them at some time.
Even with so many years foruming (i think i just invented a new word maybe?)
Coming in to a new one can be a little daunting as its the equivalent of crashing through the doors of a local pub for local people- most of the usual suspects have already built up friendship, relationship and occasionally even a hatred - along with a whole bunch of in jokes, shared history and a general comfort of belonging, so to the casual newbie looking to dip a toe, it can be a little off putting to start with as you don't want to accidentally sit in old bobs favourite chair while he's nipped off for a pee and a fresh pint, and have him spend the rest of eternity secretly seething with rage at your cheek.
Having browsed this particular board for a month or two in lurker mode, its pretty apparent there are some real watch geeks here and its taken a while to figure out WTF half the chat is about- as a relatively recent collector, i didn't have a Scooby what WIS or SOTC meant....and thats before I even start going google crazy on some of the more watch technical type discussions (I buy my watches based on their visual ability to make me go 'Oooooooooooh!!!!!' louder than my wallet can go 'Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!'), so there is some serious wrist trinket envy to be had here and with the obvious knowledge some posters hold, nobody wants to feel like the villages newly arrived idiot....and as watch collecting seems to be something thats seen a dramatic increase in interest in recent years, theres a lot of potential idiots available for the position.

I'm rambling off track as usual, so short version- forums can be a bit cliquey and seem unwelcoming to newbies....not sure theres an answer/solution to that- people will either join in or not? 8)
So many watches, yet still so little time!
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Reasons there is so little content generated?

Post by gaf1958 »

Deleted .
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by copemanphoto »

Well welcome aboard....great first post you had me rolling on the floor as I could visualize old bob with a fresh pint and WTF written all over his face. Your brand of humour has found a new home........look forward to reading your next post.

Cheers, Mike.
Cheers, Mike.
BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by BerlinCW »

NotEnoughWrists wrote:I guess this is a good post to pop in, say Hello and pop my CW post cherry? :wave:

I've been knocking around various forums for well over a decade and this subject has popped up on most of them at some time.
Coming in to a new one can be a little daunting as its the equivalent of crashing through the doors of a local pub for local people- most of the usual suspects have already built up friendship, relationship and occasionally even a hatred - along with a whole bunch of in jokes, shared history and a general comfort of belonging, so to the casual newbie looking to dip a toe, it can be a little off putting to start with as you don't want to accidentally sit in old bobs favourite chair while he's nipped off for a pee and a fresh pint, and have him spend the rest of eternity secretly seething with rage at your cheek.
Having browsed this particular board for a month or two in lurker mode, its pretty apparent there are some real watch geeks here and its taken a while to figure out WTF half the chat is about- as a relatively recent collector, i didn't have a Scooby what WIS or SOTC meant....and thats before I even start going google crazy on some of the more watch technical type discussions (I buy my watches based on their visual ability to make me go 'Oooooooooooh!!!!!' louder than my wallet can go 'Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!'), so there is some serious wrist trinket envy to be had here and with the obvious knowledge some posters hold, nobody wants to feel like the villages newly arrived idiot....and as watch collecting seems to be something thats seen a dramatic increase in interest in recent years, theres a lot of potential idiots available for the position.

I'm rambling off track as usual, so short version- forums can be a bit cliquey and seem unwelcoming to newbies....not sure theres an answer/solution to that- people will either join in or not? 8)
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay here.

You are now one of 2500 members!
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

NotEnoughWrists wrote:.......accidentally sit in old bobs favourite chair while he's nipped off for a pee and a fresh pint, and have him spend the rest of eternity secretly seething with rage at your cheek.
Having browsed this )
Great post! Not sure about Bob's old chair but you might be very close to Smegwina's avatar :lol:
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Welcome, very apt user name, don't worry about the terminology used as I still don't understand a lot of it myself.
Johnny
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

NotEnoughWrists wrote:I'm rambling off track as usual, so short version- forums can be a bit cliquey and seem unwelcoming to newbies....not sure theres an answer/solution to that- people will either join in or not? 8)
Welcome, what a great first post.

I can definitely see where you're coming from with this - it's hard being the new guy especially on a forum where the core few have been here years (despite my join date I didn't post for 8 years in the middle, so I'm not one of them) and many irregulars come, spend loads and show off their collection, then disappear.

Depending on your personality Bob may pull you up a chair and welcome you or you may be destined for a life on the sidelines but one thing's for sure - if you don't post you won't be welcomed so to any lurkers reading I say give it a go :)
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

NotEnoughWrists wrote:(I buy my watches based on their visual ability to make me go 'Oooooooooooh!!!!!' louder than my wallet can go 'Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!'),
:lol: great first post. Welcome to the forum.
CHRIS
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

NotEnoughWrists wrote: I've been knocking around various forums for well over a decade and this subject has popped up on most of them at some time.
Even so...Kip will be setting you some 'homework' . :lol:

Greetings and welcome. Great first post. :thumbup:
Steve.
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

Thanks for the welcome :)

I was going to post a few weeks ago, following the Autumn Sale fiasco- as it took 45 minutes for me to get through the checkout with my C70 French GP COSC, it was out of stock by the time i was ready to flex the credit card...so i was a tad ranty and didn't think an introductory post mainly consiting of f*%@ and similar Anglo Saxon derivatives was the best course. I just sent a strongly worded, sarcastic reply to CW when they emailed me telling me its not too late to grab a bargain (from the 3 watches available that i didn't want) :roll:

Errrrr, you do allow sarcasm here don't you? if not, my time here may be brief :oops:
So many watches, yet still so little time!
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by copemanphoto »

NotEnoughWrists wrote:Thanks for the welcome :)

I was going to post a few weeks ago, following the Autumn Sale fiasco- as it took 45 minutes for me to get through the checkout with my C70 French GP COSC, it was out of stock by the time i was ready to flex the credit card...so i was a tad ranty and didn't think an introductory post mainly consiting of f*%@ and similar Anglo Saxon derivatives was the best course. I just sent a strongly worded, sarcastic reply to CW when they emailed me telling me its not too late to grab a bargain (from the 3 watches available that i didn't want) :roll:

Errrrr, you do allow sarcasm here don't you? if not, my time here may be brief :oops:

I feel your pain concerning the Autumn Sale Fiasco, I tried pulling the trigger on a C60 600 Red/Black and I waisted the better part of a day..........well OK the whole day and I could not get through and like you by the end, the only thing left were 3 watches that obviously no one else wanted either!

I hope CW gets a better handle on this for the next big sale, which might be a Black Friday event ?

Cheers, Mike.
Cheers, Mike.