Regular Maintenance

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
f1humlam

Regular Maintenance

Post by f1humlam »

To all the members,

How often should my Trident 5 Day be sent in for regular clean up and maintenance? I had to send it back after I first got it to have it repaired, but I was just curious about the normal maintenance schedule.

Thanks!
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Regular Maintenance

Post by Thermexman »

I think that CW state 3 to 5 yrs in their instruction booklets.

Oops. Yep. 3-4.
Steve.
arzt
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by arzt »

3-4 years
"Die Kraft steckt in der Qualität." ©
C9-SS & C60 COSC & C1GM 5day Blue dial Prototype #0000
JimboJames1972
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by JimboJames1972 »

I'm of the impression that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If your watch starts to suddenly gain, or lose, more time than usual then something needs checking. I try to keep all my manual watches worn and wound at least twice a week, and expect them to last 3-5 years like this without worry. I also "test" them at least once a month on my TimeGrapher app and note both the best error and amplitude in different positions. If anything ever looks too serious I phone up the manufacturer first, explain my worries and send it in if needed.

J
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I disagree with the above, if you left it for 10yrs and the gaskets were knackered and you jumped in the pool surely the bill would be bigger (if repairable) then having it serviced once or twice in that period plus each time it comes back looking new and each time the warranty is extended (well it is with my Omega)
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

Gaskets should be fine.

If they are good for 600m when new, they'll be good to swim with after 10 years.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

JimboJames1972 wrote:I'm of the impression that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

J
I'm in this camp, at least for most of my watches. I've had my Tag for nearly 11 years and never had it serviced. Touching wood as I type but it has always run perfectly well. Should I send it off now for servicing...probably yes, however the service might cost between 1/3 and 1/2 of the current value of the watch so that makes me think twice.

Even when I was buying my sub recently (which iirc has a 5 or 7 year service interval), the senior sales chap in the AD (a very upmarket watch shop that is also AD for PP) told me that he's never had his daily wearer Rolex OP Date serviced in nearly 20 years :shock: Pretty sure I won't be taking that route with my sub though!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^Rolex now say 10 years between each service should be fine.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
f1humlam

Post by f1humlam »

Thanks all!