Ending my association with CW.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Ending my association with CW.

Post by nbg »

Well if I recall you sold off most of your CWs at the time of last years website and logo upgrade, so perhaps inevitable that you are now ditching the remaining two. :)

Are you ditching them because you genuinely don't like the watches, or because you are not wearing them as a conscious decision because of your dismay and annoyance at the recent CS debacle during sale time?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

nbg wrote:Well if I recall you sold off most of your CWs at the time of last years website and logo upgrade, so perhaps inevitable that you are now ditching the remaining two. :)

Are you ditching them because you genuinely don't like the watches, or because you are not wearing them as a conscious decision because of your dismay and annoyance at the recent CS debacle during sale time?

Neil
I haven't worn the C4 for ages, the C80 came back to me and I wore it a couple of times but it's been in the watch box for months. I guess I'd hung onto them for sentimental reasons but I can't even justify those now. Will I regret it? Maybe, these are two of the least seen CW's for resale so ever coming across them again would be unusual.
When starting my CW collection, it was never an investment project other than to own watches and support a company that I really thought was going places. Although they have grown and developed in the last few years the muddled and continuing shift of identity every few years and the perceived lack of infrastructure development born of their consistent inconsistency in Customer Service have frustrated me and dulled my desire to buy any more watches. That in turn has transferred to the watches I own to the point I no longer get any pleasure from seeing them on my wrist.

Do they make nice watches - yes absolutely
Are there some I'd like to own - in design and style terms, certainly
Why won't I buy them - I guess that's now because they are CW's, I doubt I would wear them and having by my calculations spent comfortably more than £10k with them over the years it's not worth risking any more money to just leave them lying in a watch box.
Hour Hand

Post by Hour Hand »

Tyke wrote:I have been giving this some serious consideration over the past few weeks and realising that I'm never likely to wear the two CW's I have left in my collection I've come to the conclusion that I should let them go. I only tend to wear my Alpina Seastong as my daily beater with the occasional foray with my Steinhart Aviation Vintage. This is a tough call, the C4BBMF is a watch I said I'd never let go, the C80 Sector a watch I sold, repurchased and said I'd never sell again but if they are going to spend eternity in a watch box then that's a crying shame if someone else might enjoy them.

As for any more CW's, that's highly unlikely so as they say, when they're gone........

Now the hunt in the loft starts for the boxes...... :lol: And the C4 needs a battery :problem:
I will give you 20 quid for the pair
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Hour Hand wrote:
Tyke wrote:I have been giving this some serious consideration over the past few weeks and realising that I'm never likely to wear the two CW's I have left in my collection I've come to the conclusion that I should let them go. I only tend to wear my Alpina Seastong as my daily beater with the occasional foray with my Steinhart Aviation Vintage. This is a tough call, the C4BBMF is a watch I said I'd never let go, the C80 Sector a watch I sold, repurchased and said I'd never sell again but if they are going to spend eternity in a watch box then that's a crying shame if someone else might enjoy them.

As for any more CW's, that's highly unlikely so as they say, when they're gone........

Now the hunt in the loft starts for the boxes...... :lol: And the C4 needs a battery :problem:
I will give you 20 quid for the pair
I can let you have a look at the pair for £20 :lol:
BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by BerlinCW »

Greetings,

If you are not wearing them, moving them on is a sensible decision.

Perhaps, we should all do more of that!

Good to hear that your'e hanging around.

Now find those boxes and get them shifted!
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Glad to hear you are sticking around also.

I did have 6 CWs now just down to 3, purely to recoup some funds and I wasn't wearing them, didn't like them as much as I thought also once they arrived.
Still can't believe I didn't get an Ascari in the recent sale and I doubt any of my current 3 will ever get sold.
Johnny
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

Good to hear your still sticking around Ian :thumbup:
Bernie
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Just catching up on posts, it hasn't come as a massive shock to me Ian as I know how you felt of late regarding CW.
Very happy though to hear you will be sticking around mate, it's very good to have you hear.
Also I noticed you've been here longer than I have even.
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by Martin »

As a constant lurker rather than daily poster I have followed the many threads regarding CW customer service. I have also benefitted from Wera's help as well as Debbie's, but have been left nonplussed (I am being deliberately neutral here) by the (lack of) quality elsewhere in areas of both sales and service.
I am currently contemplating a £1000 purchase for my 60th birthday in the new year and sadly, CW has been scratched from the list. I do get the impression that many long time forumites are also slowly letting go.
MorrisOx
Guru
Guru

Post by MorrisOx »

The watch jn your avatar, Martin, is what got me hooked on CW all those uears ago: really nicely produced designs at very competitive prices.

That was then, this is now. I've got a couple of CWs I aear reasonably often (the C5 Aviator & Mk 1 Malvern chrono), but that's it. If I had time, or someone made me an offer, I'd probably sell most of them tomorrow. The current identity crisis logo means there's no likelihood of me buying any of the current designs, and some of the prices are no longer plausible.
C5 Malvern Aviator LE
C8 Pilot Mk1 004
C3 Malvern Chrono
C4 Peregrine 'Phoenix'
Eterna Airforce
Steinhart Nav B Chrono II
Steinhart Ocean One GMT
Bulova Moonwatch
Marloe Coniston Bluebird
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
Longines Master Chrono Moonphase
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by tempus fugit »

Good for you Tyke, I'm not far behind you. For the same reasons, I have fallen out of love with CW, although there remains some lingering affectuon - and I do love my C60 Pro GMT, which still gets a lot of wrist time. And I won't sell my Malvern Mk1 for sentimental reasons (my wife bought it and I owre it with much pride for several years, though it now gets zero wrist time).

The others, the C3 and the Slimline FLE also get no wrist time and are just sitting in the watch case. I always have a reason to wear something else. But something - nostalagia for how CW got me really into watches? - keeps me holding on. But I won't buy a new logo version, I still thinks that not only is it rubbish, but it also represents how CW left the demographic I fall into behind with the whole rebranding exercise.
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Looks like a growing band of forumites heading in the same direction as me although I suspect we are no longer the demographic that CW are aiming for, so no worries for them.
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

Does this not tweet your interest TYKE?
CHRIS
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Good on yer' Tyke.

We've been in touch over the past couple of weeks so this news came as a surprise to me.

I applaud anyone making the decision to move on watches they just aren't enjoying: It's no secret I'm about to release a trio of C600 Tri-Tech Elites for the reason that I'm just not wearing them (tastes and habits, that's all) and (1) I should plough the value into something I will wear, (2) someone else ought to have the opportunity to enjoy them. I'm reconciled to this decision, I know it's the right one but it was an odd feeling today to reduce the little row of CW watches by three: suddenly it's not really a row any more.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

DISJT wrote:Does this not tweet your interest TYKE?
I think the hint pics of the new Motorsport range look great, in fact excluding that there are probably about 6 CW's that would have my attention running to about £5k but I'm no longer willing to commit that kind of expenditure not knowing if stuff will turn up horrendously late (or at all), be the correct stuff, not be damaged etc etc etc. It's a matter of trust and frankly that is in pretty short supply at the moment.