Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nige
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Bader clasp and other strap questions

Post by nige »

Good day everyone,

I received the XS straps that I ordered today and I'm glad to know that they fit my tiny wrist. I have an issue with the bader clasp though. Is it typical that the way the clasp curves isn't rounded along the wrist? This makes the strap very uncomfortable to wear.

As opposed to this, which is very comfortable for me.

And a side question, it is typical for the Trident GMTs to have very tight space for the nato straps to go through? I took out my bracelet the other day to try on a bond nato and it won't go through, but it could be that the strap I got was really thick. Thanks!
Tudor Black Bay 36, Wenger Field
esk1
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: Bader clasp and other strap questions

Post by esk1 »

Bader clasps are comfortable if the deployment is under your wrist. It looks like in the picture it's pretty off center for you and this strap which may make it more uncomfortable. It's hard to tell without it on but I think that is your issue.

The lug holes on the trident are really close to the case. I like how it looks with leather because their is virtually no gap. They use to come with curved spring bars in some cases that went way from the case. I have the same issue with my 43mm and often have to use something to pull a nato strap through the spring bars.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

It has been found before that Bader straps don't work well on XS straps.
I had this before and got a standard size Bader Strap instead and it worked perfectly.
nige
Senior
Senior

Post by nige »

esk1 wrote:Bader clasps are comfortable if the deployment is under your wrist. It looks like in the picture it's pretty off center for you and this strap which may make it more uncomfortable. It's hard to tell without it on but I think that is your issue.

The lug holes on the trident are really close to the case. I like how it looks with leather because their is virtually no gap. They use to come with curved spring bars in some cases that went way from the case. I have the same issue with my 43mm and often have to use something to pull a nato strap through the spring bars.
Yes that's correct, the clasp is off center from my wrist. Here's more pics. I'm wearing the watch right now in hopes that the leather would loosen a bit and hopefully it won't be as uncomfortable anymore. Thanks for your input on the nato straps. I thought it was weird that the strap wouldn't go through because I've seen this watch on Nato so many times in this forum.

nige
Senior
Senior

Post by nige »

MiniMpi wrote:It has been found before that Bader straps don't work well on XS straps.
I had this before and got a standard size Bader Strap instead and it worked perfectly.
Ahh.. That's sad to hear. I already sent an email to CW about this. I don't think they'll accept the strap if I returned it because it's already been worn but I hope they can maybe send a regular buckle to change my strap with. I just think it's weird that they didn't include bader deployments that had a smaller curve to fit smaller wrists.
esk1
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Bader clasp and other strap questions

Post by esk1 »

That's definitely sitting way to far around your wrist. I would get a regular strap not an xs if you want that deployment. Based on how many open holes you have it'll fit almost perfectly. Deployment clasp you want enough extra strap to almost cover the underside of your wrist from both sides so that the clasp fits right under your wrist.

For the nato you can either try thinner spring bars or just find something that you can grab the tail of the nato without scratching the watch.
nige
Senior
Senior

Post by nige »

esk1 wrote:That's definitely sitting way to far around your wrist. I would get a regular strap not an xs if you want that deployment. Based on how many open holes you have it'll fit almost perfectly. Deployment clasp you want enough extra strap to almost cover the underside of your wrist from both sides so that the clasp fits right under your wrist.

For the nato you can either try thinner spring bars or just find something that you can grab the tail of the nato without scratching the watch.
Thanks. I guess I'll see what customer service has to say about this. I hope they let me return the strap for a medium.
Shawnn9876

Post by Shawnn9876 »

That's is the problem we have with XS size strap. my experience is the same.
basically, the length of the strap at the so called 12 o'clock end is TOO short as being an XS, (for a regular size this length is longer), and this length is fixed by the way. so the clasp is pushed to the side of your wrist
On the other hand, if you have a small wrist like me around 6.25"but use a normal Bader strap, you're forced to use the last hole in which case the strap will form a square shape around your wrist because the 2 thick ends of the strap can't curve
Bottom, Bader strap is for large wrist only, I learn this the hard way.
Summerz
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Summerz »

Newbie here. What's a Bader clasp please? Can they be used on a Trident (which I am looking at)?
nige
Senior
Senior

Post by nige »

Shawnn9876 wrote:That's is the problem we have with XS size strap. my experience is the same.
basically, the length of the strap at the so called 12 o'clock end is TOO short as being an XS, (for a regular size this length is longer), and this length is fixed by the way. so the clasp is pushed to the side of your wrist
On the other hand, if you have a small wrist like me around 6.25"but use a normal Bader strap, you're forced to use the last hole in which case the strap will form a square shape around your wrist because the 2 thick ends of the strap can't curve
Bottom, Bader strap is for large wrist only, I learn this the hard way.
I have small wrists too. That's why I was glad to see the XS straps on sale. The black strap I ordered with the regular buckle fits me perfectly though.
traczu
Junior
Junior

Post by traczu »

I've got the same problem, now I know why price for those XS straps was so low.

Do you know if it is possible to put bader clasp on longer strap from other manufacturer?
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

traczu wrote:I've got the same problem, now I know why price for those XS straps was so low.

Do you know if it is possible to put bader clasp on longer strap from other manufacturer?
Problem could be with the buckle end, as there is a cut out for the tang.

If you don't mind that bit, then it should be ok if widths are compatible.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
traczu
Junior
Junior

Post by traczu »

TheBeatles wrote:
traczu wrote:I've got the same problem, now I know why price for those XS straps was so low.

Problem could be with the buckle end, as there is a cut out for the tang.

If you don't mind that bit, then it should be ok if widths are compatible.
Thanks, I'll try to put in on my new BOB shark strap and see how it goes.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Summerz wrote:Newbie here. What's a Bader clasp please? Can they be used on a Trident (which I am looking at)?
This should help explain it...
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Summerz
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Summerz »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Summerz wrote:Newbie here. What's a Bader clasp please? Can they be used on a Trident (which I am looking at)?
This should help explain it...
Cheers.