Discuss Christopher Ward watches
mik
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 2

Oops - C11 crown fell off

Post by mik »

Well that was weird.

Just decided to reset the time on my C11. Have been wearin it all week.

Went to pull the crown out (with the watch off my wrist of course) and it pulled off completely - with "zero" resistance. Amazed I still have it to be honest given the fact it came off so easily.

I know from experience that it can be a long process - I had to send this back for warranty repair when approx 5m old when it stopped - a screw had come out and jammed the mech somehow - but does anyone know :

1. Easy fix?
2. The watch was purchased Sep-14. I am assuming the warranty won't cover this repair? (5yr warranty is on movement

Sorry - crap hurried iPhone pics.

C11 MSL
C1000 Cockpit Edition
Alpina Alpiner 4
mik
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Re: Oops - C11 crown fell off

Post by mik »

Also - I am away on business, so have just popped the crown into my wallet. Should I take mthe watch off? Is there risk associated with having the crown "shaft" exposed? :?
C11 MSL
C1000 Cockpit Edition
Alpina Alpiner 4
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Failure of the crown and stem really is becoming an epidemic and if I were CW I would be worried. Are you guys mistreating your watches or are the parts which should be robust of poor quality? Which is it?

I would send your watch back requesting a repair under warranty and let us know their response. In the meantime I think you may safely wear your watch although that exposed shaft looks a bit menacing!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
mik
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by mik »

It's ok - the shaft isn't "sharp". :)

My watch is well worn - I always default to the C11 as a daily in preference to my cheaper watches, so it gets a lot of wrist-time and the case has picked up a few scuffs, but it absolutely is not abused. I'm trying to keep my C1000 for "special".

The manual winding was always a bit stiffer after the repair I mention above. Maybe that is significant? Changing the time or date always nice and smoothe though.

I will contact Wera. Thank you.
C11 MSL
C1000 Cockpit Edition
Alpina Alpiner 4
yuri9206
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 11

Post by yuri9206 »

A bad news for you all: warranty do not cover stem and crown, even if the watch is 1 days old... only movement.
This discussion is already done with Kip and other forum members. But ask to Wera anyway :silent:
C8 Pilot MK II; C5 Malvern MK II; C60 Trident Pro 600 black; C11 Titanium Extreme 1000; C65 Trident Classic LE; C60 Trident Titanium Pro 600 #2; C60 Trident Pro 600 white; C11 MSL Black Manta; C11 Titanium Elite 500; C8 Mark I; C11 Makaira pro 500 orange
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

robinbarke wrote:Failure of the crown and stem really is becoming an epidemic and if I were CW I would be worried. Are you guys mistreating your watches or are the parts which should be robust of poor quality? Which is it?

I would send your watch back requesting a repair under warranty and let us know their response. In the meantime I think you may safely wear your watch although that exposed shaft looks a bit menacing!

Robin
I think an epidemic of broken crowns is way to strong here. What I see in the photo is a crown that is broken/sheared off. The "epidemic" of crown issues that, I think, you are confused about have been mostly internal issues.

Based on the photo, I would be surprised, yet pleased, if this was covered under warranty.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
mik
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by mik »

On second look - the stem appears to have sheared as Kip states.

The outer shaft that controls movement of the crown is completely undamaged. The crown still pops on and spins smoothly (although it obviously does nothing. :)

The only load the stem can be subject to is rotational, so I assume it is a rotational shear. I can't see how you can cause this to occur - wind one way and it ratchets - wind the other way and it winds. With a clutch to avoid overwinding.

So I can't see how a user could cause this (?)

Anyway - I need to get this sent off and see what CW determine the cause to be. :)

C11 MSL
C1000 Cockpit Edition
Alpina Alpiner 4
mik
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by mik »

Also a question to those more learned than I.... this is my first automatic.

If I am sending the watch back for repair - at 2yrs 9months old - should I also be asking them to service it? :?
C11 MSL
C1000 Cockpit Edition
Alpina Alpiner 4
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

If it were mine, I would not be wearing it, I'd have it packed away safely. The open crown stem may allow the ingress of water (as easily as a splash when washing your hands). Of course it may also be ok, as there are seals inside the tube that sit around the stem, but it'd concern me.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
mik
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by mik »

Yeah I had a similar thought gaf - I am also concerned I could damage the larger shaft the crown runs on (I have no idea what this is called) as it is exposed.

As I am travelling at the moment it'll mean a few days with no watch on. Damn :?
C11 MSL
C1000 Cockpit Edition
Alpina Alpiner 4
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

What a ****$er for you. :thumbdown: Hope it can be easily sorted.
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
yuri9206
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 11

Post by yuri9206 »

From another forum member, Nordwulf:

"I received this message from CW:

The 60 month movement warranty covers the movement, its working and its accuracy. The crown and stem are not covered by the warranty.

The slipping crown may or may not movement-related so I'll just wait and see if it gets worse. If it is not under warranty, the shipping back and forth my cost more than the repair itself if it is something simple to fix".
C8 Pilot MK II; C5 Malvern MK II; C60 Trident Pro 600 black; C11 Titanium Extreme 1000; C65 Trident Classic LE; C60 Trident Titanium Pro 600 #2; C60 Trident Pro 600 white; C11 MSL Black Manta; C11 Titanium Elite 500; C8 Mark I; C11 Makaira pro 500 orange
Vwatch
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by Vwatch »

the root cause would be:

1. not fastern enough (probably watchmaker QC issue)
2. stem screw line and crown screw line tolerance spec not match

For quick fix before sent to watchmaker (temporary solution), align the crown to the stem and slowly turn clockwise, you will feel the crown slowly screw to the stem screw line, it will stop at certain level as the turning force would over the winding force. it will become loose however better than the watch case crown hole in open position.
Time is more precious than watches.
Vadym
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Vadym »

Did it unscrew from the stem or the stem is broken?
mik
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by mik »

I don't be have any magnifying device here, but it looks like the stem has sheared.
C11 MSL
C1000 Cockpit Edition
Alpina Alpiner 4