Returning a watch from the US?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Returning a watch from the US?

Post by realmccoy12406 »

Having an issue with the USPS. My local post office is having difficulty finding a fully tracked and insured service to the UK.
The best rate they can give me is over $130.00 and that seems excessive to me.
A year ago I returned a watch to CW for about $58.00
I emailed Laura in CS about the issue and the fact that I would check with UPS and she advised me CW prefers a return through USPS.
Anyone have any suggestions as to an affordable service through the USPS? I realize CW will reimburse the cost, but I just think $130.00 is
A bit expensive.
Phillip
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Returning a watch from the US?

Post by gwells »

You have to send global priority and then you can go up to $650 insurance.
the "g" is for Greg...
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

gwells wrote:You have to send global priority and then you can go up to $650 insurance.
.. . and don't forget that CWL will refund the cost to you.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia Z Premium using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Post by realmccoy12406 »

gwells wrote:You have to send global priority and then you can go up to $650 insurance.
What were you charged for this service?
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

CW customer service told me to just get $300 of insurance and their insurance will cover the balance in the case of loss. The most important thing is to have a tracking number to prove you returned it.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Post by realmccoy12406 »

Just curious, buy why does CW prefer the postal service as opposed to UPS or FedEx?
Custom issues?
Phillip
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

realmccoy12406 wrote:Just curious, buy why does CW prefer the postal service as opposed to UPS or FedEx?
Custom issues?
Phillip
Cost. Sending an insured watch back to the UK by FedEx of UPS will cost a lot more than using USPS. It might be quicker but not if UK customs gets involved but it will be a lot more. I recently sent my Trident pro back to the UK for repair and the USPS cost was 67 USD. FedEx with an employer discount would have been 200 USD.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Post by realmccoy12406 »

What Service did you use for $67.00?
That's much lower than I have been quoted
By my local post office.
Phillip
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Ah well I used USPS global priority but there's a catch. I was returning my Trident Pro for repair but I didn't send it back in the proper CW box. I had a couple of nested small boxes and bubble wrap which saved quite a lot of weight. The proper CW box weighs more than the watch and weight is a consideration for the price of shipping. Sorry to have caused any confusion. When I asked at my post office I wanted tracked and insured and global priority was the service they offered.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

albionphoto wrote:Ah well I used USPS global priority but there's a catch. I was returning my Trident Pro for repair but I didn't send it back in the proper CW box. I had a couple of nested small boxes and bubble wrap which saved quite a lot of weight. The proper CW box weighs more than the watch and weight is a consideration for the price of shipping. Sorry to have caused any confusion. When I asked at my post office I wanted tracked and insured and global priority was the service they offered.
My post office told me I couldn't get tracked and insured, because they would not insure it after it left the country. What is with that? :shock:
Gregory
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

i got poor info about shipping to england with insurance from the smaller, local post office by my office. the clerk told me different things at different times and quoted me multiple prices.

i walked out.

i went to my big regional post office by my house and they understood right from the start what i wanted to do. told me the form the local PO gave me was out of date and that i needed to fill out the new one, and i got it shipped out no problems.
the "g" is for Greg...
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

gwells wrote:i got poor info about shipping to england with insurance from the smaller, local post office by my office. the clerk told me different things at different times and quoted me multiple prices.

i walked out.

i went to my big regional post office by my house and they understood right from the start what i wanted to do. told me the form the local PO gave me was out of date and that i needed to fill out the new one, and i got it shipped out no problems.
Bloody government job. :silent:
Gregory
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Post by realmccoy12406 »

gwells wrote:i got poor info about shipping to england with insurance from the smaller, local post office by my office. the clerk told me different things at different times and quoted me multiple prices.

i walked out.

Sounds a lot like my situation. My small local post office seems confused. I almost had it done Global Priority for $60 and then was told that watches and jewelry was prohibited with that service. The Price with another service was $130.00 but they did not have the correct form.
Very frustrating. Think I'll try a larger office also.
BTW UPS wanted $150.00 with corporate discount. Unbelievable
Phillip
ptfly
Senior
Senior

Post by ptfly »

I compared usps vs fedex. Since I get a corporate rate via fedex it was the cheapest way with tracking. Was 40something. Mailed in the original box and fashioned a close fitting outer cover.
I was surprised at the high cost of usps.
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

This is all nuts. CWL needs to be specific about what service to ask for. I, too, was refused global priority because, hey, no watches.
Gregory