Returning a watch from the US?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: Returning a watch from the US?

Post by audio.bill »

There really does need to be a company approved method of shipping back to CW for returns or service. I recently had a return which I sent via USPS International Registered Mail, but after reading the fine print of the terms it appears that it wasn't actually insured for its full value as I was told it was by my local PO where it was sent. I was refunded the charges in full by CW according to their generous 60/60 policy, but shipping watches of these values really needs to be properly insured. I attempted to use UPS or FedEx and was quoted $125 to $150, while USPS Int'l Registered Mail was about $55. This seems to be an ongoing issue which needs to be addressed for all of our peace of mind. I'm hopeful that CW can come up with a reasonably priced and secure option for its customers to use for insured returns.
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

audio.bill wrote:There really does need to be a company approved method of shipping back to CW for returns or service. I recently had a return which I sent via USPS International Registered Mail, but after reading the fine print of the terms it appears that it wasn't actually insured for its full value as I was told it was by my local PO where it was sent. I was refunded the charges in full by CW according to their generous 60/60 policy, but shipping watches of these values really needs to be properly insured. I attempted to use UPS or FedEx and was quoted $125 to $150, while USPS Int'l Registered Mail was about $55. This seems to be an ongoing issue which needs to be addressed for all of our peace of mind. I'm hopeful that CW can come up with a reasonably priced and secure option for its customers to use for insured returns.
Witness on, brother! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Gregory
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

audio.bill wrote:There really does need to be a company approved method of shipping back to CW for returns or service. I recently had a return which I sent via USPS International Registered Mail, but after reading the fine print of the terms it appears that it wasn't actually insured for its full value as I was told it was by my local PO where it was sent. I was refunded the charges in full by CW according to their generous 60/60 policy, but shipping watches of these values really needs to be properly insured. I attempted to use UPS or FedEx and was quoted $125 to $150, while USPS Int'l Registered Mail was about $55. This seems to be an ongoing issue which needs to be addressed for all of our peace of mind. I'm hopeful that CW can come up with a reasonably priced and secure option for its customers to use for insured returns.
I do not know what CW insures these watches for, but I did notice a claimed value of $150 for each of the 3 watches on the customs stickers. No idea if the two values correlate to one another. For the sake of painting a picture, these were a jumping hour, C60 auto, C60 quartz.
audio.bill
Guru
Guru

Post by audio.bill »

Both orders I've received from CW showed their proper value declared on the customs forms. For my return I showed actual value, but marked the appropriate boxes on the USPS customs form showing that it was merchandise being returned for service so there would properly be no applicable duty or taxes assessed.
jackthedog
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by jackthedog »

I shipped a watch back for repair and I believe I used Priority Mail, fully insured, and tracked for about $60. This was a couple years ago so things may have changed a bit.
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Post by realmccoy12406 »

An update on my return. Finally found a post office with the knowledge to get it done. Cost was $78.00 insured for the max amount of $200.00.
Worrisome, but best I could get short of the $130.00 for fully insured.
The tracking now shows held in UK customs awaiting CW payment to release for delivery.
This status has now shown for 7 days.
I contacted Laura at CW and She told me not to be concerned that once CW receives a written notice the fee is paid and the watch is released.
I understand the process, but 7 days seems to be an excessive amount of time.
Anyone else experienced this?
Phillip
audio.bill
Guru
Guru

Post by audio.bill »

realmccoy12406 wrote:An update on my return. Finally found a post office with the knowledge to get it done. Cost was $78.00 insured for the max amount of $200.00.
Worrisome, but best I could get short of the $130.00 for fully insured.
The tracking now shows held in UK customs awaiting CW payment to release for delivery.
This status has now shown for 7 days.
I contacted Laura at CW and She told me not to be concerned that once CW receives a written notice the fee is paid and the watch is released.
I understand the process, but 7 days seems to be an excessive amount of time.
Anyone else experienced this?
Phillip
I didn't experience that with my return, it was delivered promptly to CW once it got through the USPS system. Did you mark the customs declaration as being "return goods" or similar so that they should not be assessed any duty or VAT? I'm sure that they'll still get it in time but am sorry to hear about the delay you're encountering. :(
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Post by realmccoy12406 »

The return instructions I received from CW stated to simply list the item as "wristwatch" and not to list return anywhere on the exterior of the package. I followed those instructions.
Laura at CW assured me this morning that CW would have the watch soon.
Phillip