Quality Difference: CW vs. "High End" Brands

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Quality Difference: CW vs.

Post by golfjunky »

Macdaz wrote:I have a Seamaster and a Trident 600pro and I often play the comparison game in my head.
Is the Omega, better quality? Yes.
Can you easily tell? Yes.
Is the difference in quality equal to the difference in Price? Hand on heart, I'd probably say no.

But I'd choose the Seamaster every time.
^^^Yep, what he said^^^
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
BCC
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Re: Quality Difference: CW vs. "High End" Brands

Post by BCC »

Galton321 wrote:Just buy the watch you really like and want. With a bit of luck cognitive dissonance will work for you. That is a way we humans cope with dealing with two conflicting bits of information. If you really want the BB you will justify your decision by telling yourself that it's better quality, has a provenance etc. If the C60 Pro you'll convince yourself that it is just as good and a bargain to boot. Just get the one you want. Enjoy it and don't worry about the other stuff.
Very well put!
BCC
Senior
Senior

Post by BCC »

Thanks everyone, what a great array of responses.

I've noticed a few opinions along the lines of: "it may not necessarily be worth the difference in cost, but it's still worth it". Interesting.
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by tempus fugit »

BCC wrote:Thanks everyone, what a great array of responses.

I've noticed a few opinions along the lines of: "it may not necessarily be worth the difference in cost, but it's still worth it". Interesting.
Exactly. My Tridents have been great and the quality is fantastic for the price (and still very good at any price) but the finishing and operation on my Tudors are truly outstanding. Although the increase in quality is not commensurate with the multiple of increase in price, if you can spare the money, you will not be disappointed.
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag
tempus fugit
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by tempus fugit »

golfjunky wrote:
Macdaz wrote:I have a Seamaster and a Trident 600pro and I often play the comparison game in my head.
Is the Omega, better quality? Yes.
Can you easily tell? Yes.
Is the difference in quality equal to the difference in Price? Hand on heart, I'd probably say no.

But I'd choose the Seamaster every time.
^^^Yep, what he said^^^
*bouncy SMPc bezel notwithstanding
Alex
4x Omega, 3x CW, 1x Tudor, 1x Tag
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by CBMVic20 »

Put on your favourite CW and go visit a watch shop that has the high end one you're interested in. Handle them both and do a comparison, see how you feel when you put them on and how they wind and if it does anything for you. Quality is all very subjective and you'll be the best judge of that.

(it's a no from me though)
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
Shooter723
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Shooter723 »

BCC wrote:I am contemplating saving up for a "high end" peice - perhaps a Tudor, and I am hard pressed to convince myself if it is worth the price.

I have a few CW's... C60 Trident Pro 600, C11 Titanium Extreme 1000, and I love them and find they are great quality (based on my limited experience) especially for the price. Is, for the sake of example, a Tudor Black Bay that much better to warrant the difference in cost? Finish, build quality, accuracy, long term reliability, etc.?

Any thoughts or opinions?
I would say there is a difference but not as much as the price difference. But the more expensive watches will usually hold there value better. I love my high end watches but I love my seiko and CW also I'm a watch lover not a watch snob.
CW C9 5day 40mm white face black leather strap,CW Trident pro 600, Omega seamaster gmt, Orient m-force black, Orient m- force orange, ROLEX day date presidents bracelet , Seiko sarb65, Lumi-nox 8150, to many others to list
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by bspj »

Common sense says CW every time.

But I have more 'high end' watches.

Logical?

No.
But it is my money......
Steve
fissionu235
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by fissionu235 »

To the OP........... take a ride to an AD and try on a Tudor, Rolex, Omega of your choice (Speedy, Seamaster, AT, etc).............. don't take another watch for comparison, there is actually no need. When that correct watch hits that sweet spot (which it will) you wont even think of those "other" watches anymore. It will be love from then on out. Most of my watches have been and are a " love affair" of some sort. Some old, some new. I just sold off 7 "other" watches to pay cash for a Trip & New Rado HyperChrome Ceramic Chrono love affair. Name of the game........... LOL
codeture
Senior
Senior

Post by codeture »

I think CW has a good price for its quality. The thing about quality that people often forget is finishing.
Finishing may not add any materials to the watch but it gives effect to overall look, however it is also costly.
It requires time and different chips to cut and give good finishing on the surface.

So, pricier + better quality, it's worth to consider.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Galton321 wrote:Just buy the watch you really like and want. With a bit of luck cognitive dissonance will work for you. That is a way we humans cope with dealing with two conflicting bits of information. If you really want the BB you will justify your decision by telling yourself that it's better quality, has a provenance etc. If the C60 Pro you'll convince yourself that it is just as good and a bargain to boot. Just get the one you want. Enjoy it and don't worry about the other stuff.
Well said ;)

To add, the difference between high end watches and "entry level luxury" such as CW may not be apparent for most until a very long time of ownership.

IMO, a great watch, in my book, will hold up in value, both in nominal terms and appreciation, in the longer run. However, the twist is that many more expensive watches are not great and even borderline fudgly, while some may be inexpensive but well loved across generations, the Seiko 6105 for example.
Incoming: 0
PaalOstbo
CW-watches: 2

Quality Difference: CW vs. "High End" Brands

Post by PaalOstbo »

Is a IWC Portofino worth more than a C5 Malvern? Yes, absolutely.

Is it worth the actual difference in price? Nah, not even close...

Will it stop me from ever buying one? No, probably not (I quite like the black faced Porto) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by BerlinCW »

nbg wrote:
It's all a matter of opinion

Neil
Greetings,

And that for me sums it up!
DaytonaRik
Senior
Senior

Post by DaytonaRik »

I'm firmly in the "not worth the difference in price, but worth it" camp. Is my Speedy head and shoulders above the C1000 CE? You bet it is...but is it worth 3 times the RRP? Hell no!
I just think it's cool to have an obsolete technology on my wrist that actually works. - rfortson
Matta
Senior
Senior

Post by Matta »

Well, it has already been said what it's like from all point of views, but I'll say my own too, for the sake of discussion. :)

Examples first:
1. I own Xiaomi Mi5.
I could have easily gotten Samsung S7 (money wasn't an issue)) and have slightly better phone (in overall).
But:
- Samsung S7 was almost double the price of Xiaomi Mi5
- In top tier, every third man/woman/child has it (other third is iPhone and last third are other manufacturers).

2. AMD released Ryzen, half the money - similar speed to Intel Kaby Lake. After Opteron 170, this will be my first AMD in years. Why ? It doesn't suck anymore. It costs less. It's not Intel finally.

Famous brands and bragging rights - I don't enjoy that.
Underdog/dark horse - I love that.
No Underdog/dark horse - I'll go with famous one (because there's no alternative)

Watches:
CWard, Steinhart, other small brands - make me AquaTerra-like or Seamaster300M-like or PAM382Bronzo-like (or any other model that I like) watch and I'll buy it . And the fact that it doesn't say Omega or Panerai on it, is just another reason to buy it. I buy watch/phone/various because I want to enjoy it, not to be enjoyed by other people. :thumbup:
My 2 cents, entirely subjective. :wave: