C9 5 day A tale of two watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

C9 5 day A tale of two watches

Post by realmccoy12406 »

Two of the same watch purchased in the recent sale with several differences.
Watch #1 C9 5 Day 43mm Charcoal dial with new style hands on steel movt# 2744.
This watch has a signed movement and no signed rotor. The case back protective sticker was barcoded and included the movt#. The watch arrived with two polishing Cloths and no hangtag. The watch winds moderately stiff with quite a bit of resistance.
Watch #2 C9 5 day White Dial 43mm new style Blue hands on steel movt# 1028. Rotor is signed
Movement is not. Caseback sticker is clear no bar
Code or movement #. The watch has the hangtag
And two Chronometer Certificates one large one small. This watch winds smoothly with just a slight resistance.
Some similarities are:
Timekeeping is excellent. Both watches lost only a few seconds during the initial 120 hour run time.
Neither watch has any quality issues as far as fit and finish. Both dial colors are well done with the Charcoal almost a Brown in certain light.
Both bracelets are of high quality and present very nicely. One slight annoyance to mention are the threaded tube double screw link pins. This type of pin requires that both screws be held on each side of the bracelet which for most of us is a challenge at best and near impossible for others. This was compounded in my case by the screws being extremely tight. The screws were finally loosened using boiling water after trashing the tip of a good Bergeon screw driver.
Both boxes had corner damage as well. CW needs to improve in the packing area. A larger box and more packing fix the issue.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: C9 5 day A tale of two watches

Post by magicman »

realmccoy12406 wrote: Both boxes had corner damage as well. CW needs to improve in the packing area. A larger box and more packing fix the issue.
Asos seem to have conquered the box damage issue.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Sandman
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Sandman »

I'm still waiting for my 5 Day from the sale. Cleared customs on Saturday. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive. It's killing me.

Congrats on your two. Keep us posted on how they hold up.
Matthew

Has everything you've said today been true?
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

realmccoy12406 wrote:. One slight annoyance to mention are the threaded tube double screw link pins. This type of pin requires that both screws be held on each side of the bracelet which for most of us is a challenge at best and near impossible for others. This was compounded in my case by the screws being extremely tight. The screws were finally loosened using boiling water after trashing the tip of a good Bergeon screw driver.
I Found this out also.The bracelet is really difficult to size and I trashed a screwdriver too. :?
Steve.
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Post by realmccoy12406 »

I could add some additional comments on the bracelet pins, but won't go there.
I am curious though as at what point CW
Decided to sign the SH21 movement and not the rotor. The SH21 lacking almost all decoration presents as particularly bland with a large unsigned rotor.
Feel free to chime in with your movement numbers and whether or not your rotor is signed.
Phillip
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

40mm white with movt # below 900 and unsigned rota. I think that the 40mms were a later iteration, so would be unsigned.
Steve.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

CW pictures used in the past in this thread.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Shooter723
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Shooter723 »

hughesyn wrote:CW pictures used in the past in this thread.
Looking at the pictures I think I prefer the signed movement with plain rotor although it would be nice to have the rotor jazzed up a little.
CW C9 5day 40mm white face black leather strap,CW Trident pro 600, Omega seamaster gmt, Orient m-force black, Orient m- force orange, ROLEX day date presidents bracelet , Seiko sarb65, Lumi-nox 8150, to many others to list
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Post by realmccoy12406 »

Anyone know the reason CW made the changes?
Cost savings? After looking at both movements side by side I think the signed rotor gives more balance overall. Even with the signed bridge on the other movement the large plain rotor just dulls the appeal for me. Just my opinion.
Phillip