Discuss Christopher Ward watches
phcollard
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

A question for white Trident owners

Post by phcollard »

Howdy,

I acquired a white Trident last December and I have to say it is now a favorite of mine. Just a fantastic piece and I love it to bits. The only thing is that in a dark environment like last night in a taxi I really have some trouble reading the time. It's like the silver indices and hands completely disappear. Even if I have yet to drink my first glass of red for the evening! Am I the only one here? I am considering switching to a black Trident or the new COSC Day Date. I bet I will be able to read the time in any condition then? Thoughts?

Cheers,

Philippe.
ziphos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Re: A question for white Trident owners

Post by ziphos »

Philippe,

You are not alone, I have exactly the same problem with my white faced GMT, I do not have the problem with my black or blue faced C60s.

I think your analysis is correct, the silver hands do not show up well on the white, there is not enough contrast in colour.

Pete
CW C60 pro 300, C60 pro 600, C60 pro 600 GMT, C60 Titanium V2, C65 Trident Classic, C7 Rapide, C63
Omega Speedmaster Professional, Speedmaster Racing, Seamaster (1950's)
Breitling 2x Aerospace
Also: Borealis Bulova Casio Scurfa
biscuit141
Junior
Junior

Post by biscuit141 »

Ugh, I'm so glad I found this post! I was leaning towards the white because it looks great but I was worried about this exact thing. I will try to hold out and find a black one.
BerlinCW
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by BerlinCW »

Greetings,

As I have previously stated, I don't have any problem reading a white C60.

I still think they are up there with CW's best!

If you do have a problem reading them, the answer is simple.................

buy more than one colour variation!
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

I've got a black/white and a red/black, and I don't have any problems reading either.

Both are stunning watches.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

phcollard wrote:Howdy,

I acquired a white Trident last December and I have to say it is now a favorite of mine. Just a fantastic piece and I love it to bits. The only thing is that in a dark environment like last night in a taxi I really have some trouble reading the time. It's like the silver indices and hands completely disappear. Even if I have yet to drink my first glass of red for the evening! Am I the only one here? I am considering switching to a black Trident or the new COSC Day Date. I bet I will be able to read the time in any condition then? Thoughts?

Cheers,

Philippe.
I don't think you are alone in your issue with reading the time on the C60 white dial. I like them very much as they're great looking watches but haven't bought one (yet) partly because the hands don't stand out as much (as on the back dial) when you just want to do a quick time check. I'm sure I've read reviews somewhere that have said the same but this isn't just a problem with the CW watch, several brand's white dial/silver hands are not great for a quick time check.

There's no problem with the black dials and probably not with the blue dials either.

The white dial is a lovely watch so keep it but accept it's limitations and buy a black dial for travelling in taxis.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Mikkei4 wrote: .

The white dial is a lovely watch so keep it but accept it's limitations and buy a black dial for travelling in taxis.
Sound advice. :clap:
Steve.
carlt69
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by carlt69 »

I have thought myself that maybe the hands would be better if they were black :thinking:
Tudor BB Blue
Tudor Pelagos :D
BALL Fireman Storm Chaser Pro
CWL C60 Trident Pro
Vostok Europe Almaz Bronze
Casio G-Shock x 2
Tissot T-Touch Expert Titanium
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

The white rolex explorer ii has black hand and hour marker outline and makes it super readable and really terrific to look at. If cw had done the same with the white tridents it would gave been a mastersroke
Cheers now, Paul
Shooter723
Senior
Senior

Post by Shooter723 »

phcollard wrote:Howdy,

Cheers,

Philippe.
I occasionally have a problem with my white Trident also but then again I'm old
CW C9 5day 40mm white face black leather strap,CW Trident pro 600, Omega seamaster gmt, Orient m-force black, Orient m- force orange, ROLEX day date presidents bracelet , Seiko sarb65, Lumi-nox 8150, to many others to list
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Clearly a 1st world problem you're experiencing and probably your responsibility :lol: :lol: : unless you're exposing the watch to plenty of bright sunshine :sun: :sun: :sun: :shock: :shock: :shock: - and thereby charging up the lume :idea: - it's your responsibility to take positive steps to charge the lume. Otherwise when the light levels fall you're not going to see white hands against a black dial either! :wave: :wave:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Memcdowe
Senior
Senior

Post by Memcdowe »

In certain light conditions...I have noticed it as well. It doesn't bother me enough to be a deterrent though. I absolutely love my white Trident. Wearing it as I type this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

I have a white black trident and absolutely love it, great quality and very smart, silver hands on white dial is very common feature, especially for dress watch. However, on the black white trident, I couldnt help thinking it is a minor design flaw. Legibility is important, especially for sport watch. If the hands on the black white trident have black outline instead of silver, I am going to like it even more.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Incoming: 0