smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: Trident-Pro C60 accuracy

Post by smegwina »

NickChurch wrote:
smegwina wrote:
garsy69 wrote:So - I've had my new C60 Trident COSC for a few weeks now and it has taken up pretty much 100% wrist time.

I have given it time to settle, ensured fully wound and its running at a consistent -5 seconds per day......just outside of spec :P

Would you guys and gals be comfortable with that....given that I 'upgraded' from the Pro 600 in part for greater accuracy?
Not only would I be comfortable with it, I would revel in the fact that you have a timepiece that is only 0.000005% inaccurate.

It is only a bunch of weird accuracy freaks on watch forums who worry about this sort of thing.

If you want accuracy get a radio controlled /HAQ watch.

Just enjoy the watch in the knowledge that you have a wonderful COSC movement inside a cracking watch.

Can a non COSC movement be regulated to this sort of accuracy, sure, but what a polava.

Absolute worst case, whizz it back to CW for regulation. As a COSC, they should do it for you as there is the expectation of accuracy.

People spend far too much time worrying about this sort of thing

Is it worth spending more for a COSC?..... That is a whole other argument.

For full disclosure, I have a couple of COSC watches and have absolutely no idea what they gain/lose over a day. And ya know what..... I still love 'em.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I think the OP wants to enjoy his wonderful movement, and wants it in spec.

If one bought a non-cosc and it was 60 seconds adrift then I think consensus would be to return it. same rules apply here. I agree, whether COSC is worth it is a different matter altogether. For me it absolutely was otherwise why purchase a COSC watch?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough, and that was why I said that if he was unhappy with it, then get CW to regulate it.

What he actually asked was whether others would be comfortable with it. I answered accordingly.

Interestingly it is the -5 secs that may actually make the difference here. Many people would.be perfectly happy with plus 5, but baulk at -5.

The COSC specified nothing other than "at the time of testing, the movement was within COSC spec".

That movement is then put in a case, made into a watch and then sold/shipped to the customer.

Many manufacturers will regulate for free if the movement goes out of spec, but cannot say all would. There is no guarantee of continuous accuracy between services.

You pay for the higher quality movement and the whole COSC process, not guaranteed permanent accuracy.

Some may think that is worth the extra, some may not.

fab77

Post by fab77 »

I want to buy the new Trident Pro and as long as it gains rather than loses I will be happy.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

GeeWiz Guys

I've just spent minutes reading posts about watches losing seconds and seeing a graph (really?) of secs gained or was it lost.

How many secs did all your posts lose you?

When somebody asks you for the time do you answer with hours, minutes AND seconds then warn them that your watch might have gained 5 secs that day?

If I'd spent £15k on a Patek I meant be concerned about a minute a day but otherwise lets get back to reality.
Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Watchamacallit »

I learned a new word today - "polava"; I do not know how to say it but I can understand how one would use it in this context after reading the urban dictionary. If I had a COSC movement that was slightly off spec I would fret about it as well, either hoping that it would improve or that I could figure out the proper way to rest the watch overnight, e.g. face up, crown up, etc, to compensate. If it was my everyday watch I would want it running within spec, otherwise I might accept it being slightly off.

Of the few mechanical watches that I own (all non-COSC), I generally try to learn their fast/slow rate and mentally compensate when reading the time. Then reset them every couple of weeks. That is assuming the watch was being worn ever day and kept wound. Lately I have been wearing quartz as I want better accuracy, not that such high accuracy is necessary.
NickChurch

Post by NickChurch »

Mikkei4 wrote:GeeWiz Guys

I've just spent minutes reading posts about watches losing seconds and seeing a graph (really?) of secs gained or was it lost.

How many secs did all your posts lose you?

When somebody asks you for the time do you answer with hours, minutes AND seconds then warn them that your watch might have gained 5 secs that day?

If I'd spent £15k on a Patek I meant be concerned about a minute a day but otherwise lets get back to reality.
With the greatest respect, that argument makes no logical sense. If I buy a very very efficient car, I will be very interested in the fuel economy as that's why I bought it. If I owned a Porsche, I might be very keen to assess the real world power compared to other cards I'd owned as that's why I bought it. I have a career in software engineering where precision is important and so, yes, now that I've spent a reasonably large sum on a COSC, the engineer in me is keen to see how the amazing mechanical movement can perform. The answer is very well and by using a spreadsheet to create a graph to show that (took about 6 seconds) then I though that might be interesting to others that value the same sorts of things. Each to their own I suppose, but as you are on a watch forum then you must have at least a passing interest in watches one can assume.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Sorry if this reply doesn't show what post I'm referring back to but I'm still trying to get acquainted with the forum.

I admire anybody that has to work to the exacting standards required in software engineering, top level joinery and similar professions as these show a level of precision that I just couldn't achieve and I can appreciate how that attitude to exactness then runs through all elements of life. However even if I could work to that level and was lucky enough to own a Porsche I wouldn't be taking it out every hour, doing a 0-60 mph time, logging it, inputting into a graph etc and then writing on a Porsche forum that my £90k 911 wasn't performing to the specs on the Porsche web-site (The collection of data would take more than 6 seconds)

I'd be driving it and looking at it as a fabulous piece of engineering, something beautiful in its design and evolution, that is a joy and privilege to own within my (relatively) short life time. I might not get to drive it every day so would accept that some days it wouldn't do 0-60 in 4.3 secs but still managed to do somewhere around 4 or 5 secs.

Yes I'm interested in watches having several and also very interested in cars but I enjoy what I have and can afford for what they are as I would the Porsche if I could afford one. But then as has been said ... each to their own, whatever makes you happy as the forum just provides a location for personal opinions, helpful information and pictures of some great watches.

Now where's the photos of people's cars especially any Porsches, Ferraris etc as a new thread?
NickChurch

Post by NickChurch »

Mikkei4 wrote:Sorry if this reply doesn't show what post I'm referring back to but I'm still trying to get acquainted with the forum.

I admire anybody that has to work to the exacting standards required in software engineering, top level joinery and similar professions as these show a level of precision that I just couldn't achieve and I can appreciate how that attitude to exactness then runs through all elements of life. However even if I could work to that level and was lucky enough to own a Porsche I wouldn't be taking it out every hour, doing a 0-60 mph time, logging it, inputting into a graph etc and then writing on a Porsche forum that my £90k 911 wasn't performing to the specs on the Porsche web-site (The collection of data would take more than 6 seconds)

I'd be driving it and looking at it as a fabulous piece of engineering, something beautiful in its design and evolution, that is a joy and privilege to own within my (relatively) short life time. I might not get to drive it every day so would accept that some days it wouldn't do 0-60 in 4.3 secs but still managed to do somewhere around 4 or 5 secs.

Yes I'm interested in watches having several and also very interested in cars but I enjoy what I have and can afford for what they are as I would the Porsche if I could afford one. But then as has been said ... each to their own, whatever makes you happy as the forum just provides a location for personal opinions, helpful information and pictures of some great watches.

Now where's the photos of people's cars especially any Porsches, Ferraris etc as a new thread?
All good points. I guess to link it back to the OP, if our Porsches were found to be running at a lower power than it should then we would probably take it back to the dealer for them to fix. Or, it it's aesthetics that you bought it for, say 2 panels were a tone different in colour, it would similarly go back. In order to find out if it was under powered, you would need to get it put on a rolling road and get a print out (a graph). That's all I think we are saying here. I would not obsessively chart the time keeping for the next 2 years - as I'm too busy, but for the first few weeks, sure. I spend a grand, and what to make sure it is money well spent. I'm very fortunate to be able to get a watch like this, but not too fortunate that I don't care if it's a dud $$$ :-)
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

Watchamacallit wrote:I learned a new word today - "polava"; I do not know how to say it but I can understand how one would use it in this context after reading the urban dictionary. If I had a COSC movement that was slightly off spec I would fret about it as well, either hoping that it would improve or that I could figure out the proper way to rest the watch overnight, e.g. face up, crown up, etc, to compensate. If it was my everyday watch I would want it running within spec, otherwise I might accept it being slightly off.

Of the few mechanical watches that I own (all non-COSC), I generally try to learn their fast/slow rate and mentally compensate when reading the time. Then reset them every couple of weeks. That is assuming the watch was being worn ever day and kept wound. Lately I have been wearing quartz as I want better accuracy, not that such high accuracy is necessary.
Usually spelt - palaver
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

neilj568 wrote:
Watchamacallit wrote:I learned a new word today - "polava"; I do not know how to say it but I can understand how one would use it in this context after reading the urban dictionary. If I had a COSC movement that was slightly off spec I would fret about it as well, either hoping that it would improve or that I could figure out the proper way to rest the watch overnight, e.g. face up, crown up, etc, to compensate. If it was my everyday watch I would want it running within spec, otherwise I might accept it being slightly off.

Usually spelt - palaver
It certainly is! For some reason this phones spell check changed it???????

TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

It's interesting reading the differing views about +5/-5 secs per day, yet watches have a date feature to help us remember which 24 hours we are in.....just a thought :D :D
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
NickChurch

Post by NickChurch »

I'm pleased about that, I'm always forgetting the date :-)
Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Watchamacallit »

Regarding the car analogy I view it more in relative terms. Meaning consider a car that is 1.5-2 times the cost of the same base model for either a larger displacement engine for faster acceleration or a hybrid drive train for better fuel economy. Upon purchase if were discovered that the acceleration was no better than the base model (not 20% faster as claimed) or that the fuel economy was the same instead of the 40% improvement that was claimed, the buyer would understandably be upset. That is not a perfect analogy but is a similar margin of error of buying a watch that was claimed to have a -5/+5 second error range per day, only to find out it was -7 seconds slow. The customer paid for a better regulated time piece but received one somewhat like the base model.

Post by 28337 »

Finally my Trident C60 is delivered. No doubt, this timepiece iz amazing. I love hands, dial and case. I've ordered alligator-strap but it was my mistake - the bracelet is perfect and I do not want to change it with leather strap. But the only thing that makes me sad is accuracy. +13 sec in 25 hours. I'm sure it is too much for swiss movement.

Yesterday I received a parcel form DeepBlue watches - pretty cheap Seiko movement shows +1 sec in 6 hours. Cheap Seiko. Non COSC.
Please excuse me for my english - it is not my native language and I have no enough practice to make it better : (
Panerai 312 | ChrWard C60PRO | DeepBlue Nato300 | Seagull 1963 | ???
NickChurch

Post by NickChurch »

Watchamacallit wrote:Regarding the car analogy I view it more in relative terms. Meaning consider a car that is 1.5-2 times the cost of the same base model for either a larger displacement engine for faster acceleration or a hybrid drive train for better fuel economy. Upon purchase if were discovered that the acceleration was no better than the base model (not 20% faster as claimed) or that the fuel economy was the same instead of the 40% improvement that was claimed, the buyer would understandably be upset. That is not a perfect analogy but is a similar margin of error of buying a watch that was claimed to have a -5/+5 second error range per day, only to find out it was -7 seconds slow. The customer paid for a better regulated time piece but received one somewhat like the base model.
Agree. Well said
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

NickChurch wrote:
Watchamacallit wrote:Regarding the car analogy I view it more in relative terms. Meaning consider a car that is 1.5-2 times the cost of the same base model for either a larger displacement engine for faster acceleration or a hybrid drive train for better fuel economy. Upon purchase if were discovered that the acceleration was no better than the base model (not 20% faster as claimed) or that the fuel economy was the same instead of the 40% improvement that was claimed, the buyer would understandably be upset. That is not a perfect analogy but is a similar margin of error of buying a watch that was claimed to have a -5/+5 second error range per day, only to find out it was -7 seconds slow. The customer paid for a better regulated time piece but received one somewhat like the base model.
Agree. Well said
Have you ever, ever had a car that hit the claimed mpg figures?