Logo and style of watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Neeson

Logo and style of watches

Post by Neeson »

Hi all,

Let me start out by making a bit of a confession. I've been reading this forum for 10 years! Been around since the days of Termintor, ctafield, joe rattz, Hans, downer and of course Kip, but only just decided to take the plunge and register.

Now, because of my prolonged lurking, I'm well aware of how polarising the logo changes have been (I'm an old skool 2008 kinda guy with my C4 Peregrine, C5 Malvern MK1 and C15...), but am genuinely interested in what people think the new logo might mean for the overall style of CW watches going forward.

Both the original logo and v2 seemed to speak of British heritage, with the first being particular understated and the second, despite the size, still having a very classical font. This new one, however, has thrown me. Whilst I'm not totally opposed to it (I think it's fabulous on the Grand Malvern but distinctly underwhelming on the Trident models I've seen with the 9 o'clock position), I just don't see how it works at all on some of the dress models, particularly the Moonphase and Monopusher.

And that got me thinking, does this rebranding also point towards a different direction regarding design? And if so, where do you guys see it going? To me, it suggests younger, sportier and functional rather than heritage, class and restraint. Something that sits more comfortably on a pilot or chrono that some of the aforementioned classical watches. Not saying that's good or bad, but genuinely intrigued as to where CW is going and what you guys as aficionados would like to see from a design perspective...

Pictures and mock ups - from the sublime to the ridiculous - most welcome. Who knows, we could stumble across inspiration for a future forum LE? ;-)

All the best guys,

Neeson
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Logo and style of watches

Post by Tyke »

The change in ownership makeup as part of the SH amalgamation seems to have created a Swiss / English hybrid and that realignment has resulted in a watchmaker that trades less on its quintessential 'Englishness' so the switch in branding away from CHR understandably reflects this rebalancing. Losing that character will play out over the next few years and if the reason behind it (expansion in the Far East) comes to fruition I'm sure they will feel vindicated. Certainly they've suffered some short term PR pain for their hoped for long term gain so it's to be hoped the loss of portions of their original market will be replaced multiple fold by a new type of customer.

The good thing seems to be they have listened about logo positioning and alignment on certain models so expect to see the Moonphase and Worldtimer with the same centered arrangement style as the C8 power reserve, who knows with any of the others but the monopusher I would expect to go a similar route to the C65 as almost certainly will the C60's.

Not sure they are aiming at a younger market per se, more a most affluent market with greater disposable income than has been targeted to date. Young people either use phones or tech watches for the time, not stuff that CW and other Swiss makers are selling.

I've mellowed to the new logo from a position of complete dislike to total ambivalence, largely because I no longer expect to purchase any more CW's, so no point in getting vexed over what might have been. I hope they prosper.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Tyke wrote: I've mellowed to the new logo from a position of complete dislike to total ambivalence, largely because I no longer expect to purchase any more CW's, so no point in getting vexed over what might have been. I hope they prosper.
Never say never, but that is pretty much my view – well nailed! :lol:

Welcome, Neeson – it's much better on the inside. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Tyke wrote: I've mellowed to the new logo from a position of complete dislike to total ambivalence, largely because I no longer expect to purchase any more CW's, so no point in getting vexed over what might have been. I hope they prosper.
Never say never, but that is pretty much my view – well nailed! :lol:

Welcome, Neeson – it's much better on the inside. :thumbup:
Probably never :lol: There are 4 or 5 CW's that I'd have bought in a heartbeat if the rebrand hadn't happened, but I haven't done it even though some were on offer at 50% such is my disconnect with the company currently.
Seb1982

Post by Seb1982 »

There are 4 or 5 CW's that I'd have bought in a heartbeat if the rebrand hadn't happened,
Exactly this.

I just had to register in order to agree with you, but I think the company needs to hear all the voices it can. I would happily have bought at least 3, and probably more, but I simply can not put that awful new logo on my wrist.

If I wanted a watch that looked like it came from a cheap catalogue, I'd buy one for £29.99 and be done with it.

I know it's utterly ridiculous, but I'm actually angry about this. How could they get it so wrong? God, I hate marketing people.
Neeson

Post by Neeson »

Interesting view re the Asian market. Most brands tend to play up their "Britishness" when selling into that market - examples include Brompton, M&S, Burberry...

That said, it'd be great to take this away from the merits of the new logo and what this means for strategy and talk more about design. What do those of you that like the logo, or are at least indifferent to it, see as the major watch design trends for CW in the coming months and years? I'm hopeful for a reinvigorated pilot line and some cool chrono variations of the SH21. Further choice around materials would also be a good thing - higher grade titanium and maybe even the first fully precious metal CW....
raseven2000
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by raseven2000 »

I am new to the brand and have had the opportunity of seeing all the branding logos CW has had. Was not a fan of the first logo and definitely not a brand of the latest logo. However, I really like the "Chr. Ward" logo and as a result I took advantage of the January sale and purchased three new pieces to add to my collection. I have two of them at home already and I am more than satisfied with the quality of their product. That being said, I don't know that I would buy another watch with the new branding logo.
C60 Trident 300 MK1
C60 Trident Pro 600
C9 JH MKIII
C9 5 Day
Breitling Avenger Seawolf
Tag Heuer Formula 1
Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior

Post by Watchamacallit »

I feel that CW is following current graphic design trends for better or worse. First desktop computers, then mobile devices with their smaller screens have encouraged many companies to simplify their logo (iconography) and fonts. To be more legible when shrank down to a smaller size and also be cheaper to print on packaging. Depending on your point of view this simplification can appear modern or just bland and uninspired. Seems that the logos of many company brands have continued to simplify over time. Here is one fun criticism of how Starbucks might evolve their logo:

One aspect I did not understand is the new twin-flag motif that I have seen on some crowns. It is a nice simple graphic, but I do not understand how it relates to Christopher Ward the brand, except that the original Cw icon is now in wrong font and would need to change:
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Watchamacallit wrote: One aspect I did not understand is the new twin-flag motif that I have seen on some crowns. It is a nice simple graphic, but I do not understand how it relates to Christopher Ward the brand, except that the original Cw icon is now in wrong font and would need to change:
It's an amalgam of the English flag and the Swiss flag. The English cross is on the right (in reverse relief), the Swiss on the left (positive relief). Or perhaps the other way round, depending on how you look at it.

As Tyke explained above, it relates to CW in that they are an English firm with a Swiss partner producing watches that can rightfully be called 'Swiss Made'.

I think it's quite clever and like it. They should have adopted it as the brand logo and printed it on the face.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior

Post by Watchamacallit »

Thanks for the explanation @FloridaPhil. I totally agree that the twin flag motif printed on the dial as a representation of the new company logo would have been great. It is a simple, clean, bold design that looks attractive even without any knowledge of the companies history/evolution. Something that should be able "hold its own" on the dial for decades to come without interfering in the specific design elements of individual watch models as they are developed in the future.
downer

Post by downer »

Welcome Neeson (finally!). :)

For me, a successful logo is something that does not define a watch (or watch design). Personally I think the current logo is far better than its predecessor, but it definitely seems to sit on some watches more easily than others.

For me, the logo on the C1 Grand Malvern PR is a success - demonstrating that it works on dress watches. It also looks fine on the new Trident Chronograph and C8 UTC.

So, as a design element, it is not restrictive, and overall - as always, it's about the overall watch design. If it's good, this new logo will not hold it back. If it's bad/mediocre, the logo will not save it.

Just looking through the CW website, on most of the models with the CHR logo, I find it dominates the design. The good news is that the new logo is more subtle - which in turn will give the designers more freedom. :thumbup:
Richard
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I don't object to the text/logo too much. I don't even really object to locating it at 9 on the dial. In fact I think these elements work well on the C8 PRC and C8 UTC. I'm not a fan of the twin flags motif especially on the crown. I do wonder what it will look like in real life. I did and still do prefer the CW on the crown. As some other posters have said it might be interesting to see the twin flags on the dial to help establish this as a link to the brand. Right now it seems to be an exercise in saying "how clever and obtuse our design is".

Will these changes stop me buying CWs? No, but all the kerfuffle did make me look more closely at a couple of Omega's that I've been lusting after for years. Since I'm in the USA the price changes seem to be in my favour and a new Trident Day/Date COSC could well be ordered in the near future.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Watchamacallit wrote:It is a simple, clean, bold design that looks attractive even without any knowledge of the companies history/evolution. Something that should be able "hold its own" on the dial for decades to come without interfering in the specific design elements of individual watch models as they are developed in the future.
This makes sense to me. As it is, you just know that at some point, the current 'logo' is going to arrive at a sell by date and CW will go through the whole process again.
'Tis me
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Caller wrote:
Watchamacallit wrote:It is a simple, clean, bold design that looks attractive even without any knowledge of the companies history/evolution. Something that should be able "hold its own" on the dial for decades to come without interfering in the specific design elements of individual watch models as they are developed in the future.
This makes sense to me. As it is, you just know that at some point, the current 'logo' is going to arrive at a sell by date and CW will go through the whole process again.
No, Chris said at the forum chat that this one is intended to be the last one.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Intended being the key word. :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.