Junior
CW-watches: 5

Re: You snooze, you lose....

Post by robert_ford »

scooter wrote:
robert_ford wrote:The ocean one and c60 look nearly the same
Really?

That would be apart from:

The hands, the date position, the date magnifier, the dial markers, the second hand, the shoulder protecting the crown, the bracelet.....

By the way, crap photos I know. I'm aware of my limitations. :wink:

scooter

Are you saying the ocean looks better? Your pics are very good don't do yourself down. I love the magnifier as with my eyesight I can never read the date on CW's
CW Jumping hour
CW C9 Harrison auto
CW C5
CW Victoria deco
CW Ladies lido
Jeager le-coultre master control
Steinhart Ocean 1
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

robert_ford wrote:Are you saying the ocean looks better?
Not at all.

I like them equally because they are so different.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

scooter wrote:
Not at all.

scooter
Awwwww come on, Scooter! Not even a shred of a preference for your namesake? :D
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Slight edit

I like them equally but the C60 FLE scooter blue is 20 times better.

scooter
IanK
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by IanK »

scooter wrote:
Not at all.

scooter
We all knew that was what you meant really :lol:
CWL C5 Aviator
Breitling Aerospace
Bremont Alt1-C
Bremont Alt1-ZT/51
Thedose
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Re: PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY!

Post by Thedose »

Ianblythe and any others who quoted me:

You are correct and I deeply apologize for my rash comments.

I basically posted out of frustration at the price increase. I was looking to buy my first real automatic watch and could not justify spending >$350 on a timepiece, i'm sure a lot of you have been in my situation, esp. when you first got into watches. I did some research and realized that this hobby (if you will call it that) is an expensive one, so one must not bitch about the pricing. I also forgot to take into consideration the time Chris must have spent creating the time pieces, and I actually did not factor inflation, I let my emotions get the best of me...

I was in love with the C9 Auto but did not want to spend anything north of $350 on my first real watch. One of the competitors was a Hamilton Jazzmaster Thinline, until I found out that it has a quartz movement, instantly throwing it out the window as a competitor (obviously).

After reading this whole thread I realized my post wast totally out of context and I ended up just buying a C5 Malvern, which I am certain I will be delighted with. As for my post about CWL's resale value, I looked at watchuseek and various other forums and realized that the person who posted the resale value comment that I quoted (in this thread) is the one who was incorrect (thanks for the insightful post Kip) and it won't matter to me because I plan on keeping this C5 for many years to come.

On to my main point, I want to apologize for my out-of-context post about CWL earlier in this thread and would like to keep my "friendship" with you guys as I am just starting out in this awesome world of horology and I know I can learn much from you more experienced collectors. Please accept this apology, from now on I will think before I post :lol:

Also, I want to deeply apologize to Chris Ward and anyone else I might have offended. :god:

Thank you
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Nice post. :clap: :clap:
Richard
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

That took some guts to post and I for one applaud you.

scooter
DAC
Senior
Senior

You snooze, you lose....

Post by DAC »

It's amazing how often a simple off the cuff comment on a forum can escalate up and be taken the wrong way - degenerating into a nasty mess (and then requiring moderation).
The one thing I really like about this forum is the maturity and acceptance of the members.
As a newbie I appreciate this and really respect this.
Nice post :-)
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

Most of us don't hold grudges on here, so don't worry about it! I guess your biggest mistake was thinking that CW's don't hold their value, if like me you try to buy in sales they can be a real bargain, my C600 IPK Yellow and C2 are proof of this, as is Scooter's Sector - see separate post.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

And I'm sure you'll be pleased with the C5 - a great watch, and great value.
jackthedog
Guru
Guru

Post by jackthedog »

Nice post. I'll admit when I saw the price increases I grumbled a bit. I was seriously looking at C60 GMT but after the price went up a $50, I took a look at the Steinharts. At the end of the day, though, I just like the C60 GMT more. It just looks like a nicer watch to me and fits my tastes better. I think Peteo hit it right on the head about the Steinhart vs. CW debate. Sometimes you just have to go with what you like more. To me, it's worth the extra money to get something I like. Now, I just want to see one a C60 in person. Anyone in the DC area want to help me out...?

After thinking more about the prices, I'll say given the way other watch companies have been raising prices and just the state of various currencies/economies, it does make sense. I also think the level of service you get from CW is likely (well) above average, which is worth the extra money.

Last point to Thedose about the C9: Save your pennies and jump on one during a sale. It's a very nice watch. I hope you enjoy your C5!
robert_ford
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

Post by robert_ford »

I have decided that the price risers are a good thing and that I will buy another watch in the same uniqueness as my jumping hour as in 10-15yrs time when CW watches are in such a maquee as Rolex omega breitling etc that they will a good investment. Even my original C5 maybe worth a handsome sum.

And also keep an eye out for another fledging company that picks up the original CW business model :wave:
CW Jumping hour
CW C9 Harrison auto
CW C5
CW Victoria deco
CW Ladies lido
Jeager le-coultre master control
Steinhart Ocean 1
timeisofthessence
Senior
Senior

Post by timeisofthessence »

Robert_Ford, great point.

I initially disliked the price increases for the obvious reasons, but Robert_Ford's point reminds us of the benefits of the price increases. If the brand continues to increase price and maintain or improve demand, then all of our CW's at home will have greater appeal to more than just their owners.

At the same time to really get the CW I'd like I may need to wait unit it hits the sales or second hand markets.
bootsy
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by bootsy »

robert_ford wrote: That sounds good, are you a CEO ? In other words a new business model where the cost to value ratio is reduced bringing CW more in line with its competitors.
Business plans have to change. The world economy and in particular the UK and Swiss economies are going through a period of significant change and relative prices are changing.

However I think the core model is still largely the same. Suppliers will inevitably change over time.

In my mind the core parts of the CW business include:
1) saving money by not maintaining an expensive franchise of shops or flagship stores - this is going to be the main factor in keeping the prices low.
2) Not sponsoring major sporting events, film promos etc and relying on word of mouth and aggressive internet advertising
3) Building up repeat customers, especially from non watch collectors - the customer service is fantastic
4) Having some very unique designs. I love my Ad Astra, who else would design something like that?
5) Limited production runs so not everyone has can get a watch and you get some exclusivity ( yes other brands do this too but the run numbers seem to be higher )
6) Taking a huge risk on 5 years worth of support for a sale.

The latter must also affect prices as you cannot know in advance how many returns you will get on a mechanism no matter what the quality. That means after a sale you have to wait 5 years before you know the total profit or loss you will make on that sale. It could be returned 1 day before the time is up and you have to spend money either replacing or repairing it plus the postage which also increase over time. You also have to keep spare parts that you may never need which also pushes prices up. You have to buy them and then warehouse them.

It's your money and your definition of good value but for me it is remarkable that prices haven't gone up even further. Inflation sucks.